We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
127 reviews
want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

from information received from personal sources, NCL will pull the last ship which does cruises of 7 days in Hawaii, citing mounting problems with Hawaiian govt agencies in Feb 09.

Furthur Princess is red-lining most stops in Hawaii due to the same problems.

You have to admire the forsight of Hawaiian agencies like Dept Of Natural Resources which in a recession seeks to raise costs restrict services.

This will leave cruises November thru April on Holland America, Celeb. Royal Carib. and possibly Carnival, all of which will be 15 to 18 day cruises with 5 days in Hawaii..... all from the west coast ports.

Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
255 Reviews
from USD 96.75*
Best Seller
Paradise Cove Luau
997 Reviews
from USD 102.00*
Best Seller
Maui Whale Watch Cruise
227 Reviews
from USD 31.74*
rhode island
Level Contributor
920 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

This is a shame. I have to tell you that the first time we came to Hawaii was on a cruise. It was affordable and convenient because we got to see 4 islands instead of one. We fell in love with Hawaii in general, and with each island for different reasons. We have since decided to only visit Hawaii instead of the Caribbean because each island is so different. We have been back to Hawaii several times since.

Less ships means less people coming back to Hawaii because the feel it is out of their reach. We looked into these other cruises, but they seemed like a waste since you only get a few days actually in Hawaii and most of the time you are on the ship putting your money back into the ship instead of the Hawaii economy.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,257 posts
2. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

DAN! I'm starting to feel jinxed over this trip for the end of January '09! The only cruise date that fit for us was NCL on Jan. 31. Would we be their last cruise, or nearly that? I can just imagine the condition of the ship and crew were that the case. Ugh.

Maybe we'll go on to Maui instead of stopping Oahu at all.

I wonder if blaming the HI gov isn't a cover for exiting due to fuel costs. You think?

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

While not an insider, I predicted NCL would move the last ship out. Economy of scale. When they had three ships that needed to operate under the special agreement, it was worth it. But then they moved one ship, and then two ships. Maintaining solo ship in Hawaii - while the other ships were around the world making money - didn't seem sensible to me.

I know you love NCL Dan, but some of the reviews I have read were unforgettably awful.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

I dont "love" NCL.... I felt that dollar for dollar it was one heck of a deal however... ( I 'Love Regent Seven Seas", where it aint cheap costing 5 times more per day than NCL..)

I felt, after reading and sailing on the Hawaiian cruise several times that most of the complaints were from people who like to complain and paid motel 6 rates expecting the Ritz with French Laundry food.

Sue..The ship and crew will be in top shape they just did a dry dock and overhaul several months ago.

If the ship is to be transfered to Mexico.. the whole crew will go.... and I think they will be happy campers as Hawaii is expensive.

I dont think its a cover for fuel costs.. as the ship has been full now and they have raised prices and are not doing the super discounts anymore (87%).

Its that out of state business get sick and and tired of having to play games with the locals to do what other countries and states do to promote the economy.

Its a fact that the Hawaii is very anti-business and steeped with corruption at all levels from labor to elected persons. Local govt is laughable.

Its a fact that the ships pour millions into the local economy, anyone in Kona will tell you that.. since the loss of the first 2 ships many places have gone out of business ....its reall getting noticeable here....

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

I hear you, hawaiidan. Cruises like NCL can be very economical, especially with inside rooms.

And yes, I think I would LOVE Regent too ... Tahiti ... maybe some day. We've cruised on Crystal, and it was wonderful as well.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,257 posts
6. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

I've yet to hear back from NCL about any changes. Called about four hours ago.

We were looking at just under $4K for a balcony cabin on Deck 8. There wasn't a whole lot available; not a wait and see situation for booking.

(Funny aside: NCL offered a small discount if we could prove we'd sailed them before. Well...that would be once, on the NORWAY in early 1980. I did find photos and faxed them in as requested.)

Seems to me the State of Hawaii should *encourage* cruises. As the post from the person in RI said, it's an introduction to the islands for many people. I remember we cruised the Caribbean early on, then took trips to stay on islands we'd 'sampled' via the cruises. Maybe Dept. of Tourism doesn't see that pattern for NCL and Hawaii?

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

Is this another vestige of the love-hate relationship Hawaii has with tourism?

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
928 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

Sounds like doing business in Vermont. Create sky high taxes and red tape and then wonder why companies are leaving and new ones won't come.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
127 reviews
9. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

Yes I agree....its also greed...the state wants to max cahrge any non local firm to the max....

Part of the problem comes from the unions... who will, they think profit if the ships leave and stay in the hotels. Unions control the government here.

Its why sugar and pineapples left or are leaving.

Its why it takes 3 years to widen a 4 mile section of hawaii or 2.5 years to add a lane for 3 blocks in Kona

Too sharp for me.

The 11% hotel tax is not charged to the ship so a ship stay is 11 % cheaper... The ship pays a hefty port tax and is provided with poor pier and port. The ship does not use roads, fire, police,or social services sewer, etc..and should not have to as its little impact . except to provide sales tax and income to each local port in the millions a week.

OK, Hawaii is not perfect, I dont have to do business or earn an income here, and all my funds and investments are on the mainland...I chooes to live here because it has what I want... I can deal with the problems because I dont have to deal with them. On vacation you will never run into them.

It is the main reason why Hawaii is expensive...they want it that way....we will see what the new economy brings...

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
10. Re: want to cruise Hawaii ,act before end of Jan. 09

Dan, are you talking about the Passenger Vessel Services Act hissy fit that NCL has been throwing?

Let's see, we can either support the Passenger Vessel Services Act changes and end up with ONLY NCL, or we can avoid the proposed 48-hour foreign port requirement and keep the foreign-flagged ships, but NCL will pack up and go home because they can't compete with the other cruises?

The Passenger Vessel Services Act is a Federal act, and even though Lingle opposes the change, it is a federal issue, not a state issue. I am assuming that the Honorable Sen. NCL Inouye is pro-PVSA rule change (don't know for sure00haven't been following it) NCL says if the state doesn't help them by fighting the PVSA changes, they are pau in Hawaii.

If you are referring other issues, Dan, can't you elaborate? We cannot appeal to our state reps if we don't know what the issues are.