We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors - 2011

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Colors - 2011

I don't know about the rest of the state, but we have been having some really chilly nights and mornings up here in Summit County - like 30s/40s. I predict Fall colors will be here sooner than later this year - for us at least.

A commonly asked question is "when is a good time to go see the changing of the Aspens." Therefore I predict the weekend of September 24th will be the ideal color time for Summit County.

Anyone care to challenge that prediction, or make one for their area?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Drove the Peak to Peak from Nederland to Ward today on our way to the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Not a hint of color in the trees yet, not even on the road to Brainard Lake. Maybe the cooler temps expected this weekend will get something started.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

I hope it takes it's sweet time. Summer was far to short this year. Besides, we're out of town for the last 2 weeks in Sep. So I'm hoping for a late one, 1st week of October. That would mess up all the planned fall festivals! Oh well Colorado with a little color still ain't bad.

Littleton, CO
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

My daughter is coming here (for the 1st time) and I just moved here in March. She will be here the 26th - 29th so we have to have destinations in mind. Coming from MN where the fall colors are amazing, we are hoping to find some of the same here is beautiful CO. Any suggestions?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

The biggest "complaint" I hear is that the fall foliage is not as colorful compared to the midwest and NE. We don't have the variety of hardwoods as other parts of the country. But it's still beautiful as most people here will agree! Here are some ideas for you: www.colorado.com/Articles.aspx?aid=42023

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

bump

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

We drove the Peak to Peak from Nederland to Allenspark on Sunday. There were no aspen turning yet. My husband rode his motorcycle from Ned to Black Hawk yesterday and there was nothing happening on that end either. I was going to predict the last weekend of September for the peak. Today's cool and rainy weather may change that. We'll see!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Babalax, I am glad your area is seeing rain. Many of the trees in the Loveland/Fort Collins/Windsor area are showing those sickly brown edges (you mentioned in another post) and premature wilting from heat stress and lack of rain. Hopefully, other parts of the state are getting a good soaking which will encourage nice fall color.

Edited: 07 September 2011, 06:21
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

It's drizzle right now but we'll take it. Some of the aspen along the P2P were looking stressed too. I can no longer see the peaks so I have hope for more rain, and that you get some rain out your way!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

It is raining steady here today. At my house of 10,000 feet it was 48 degrees at 12:30pm today and all the willows have yellow tops. Some Aspens (smaller ones) have turned yellow, but most are just getting started. I am going to stick with 9/24 as the 'Peak' weekend for our area. I am sad to see Summer go :-(

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Our aspens seem to be in very good shape this year. I don't see nearly as much blight as in the past years. I'm predicting a very spectacular foliage season in Routt and White River NFs. As for when? We got a speck here, a speck there. At least 2 weeks away and probably 3 or 4.