We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Zuid Holland
Level Contributor
124 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Firstly is end February beginning March a good time to visit Vegas and the surrounding area? I was imagining that temp wise it would be perfect for a bunch of northern Europeans!

Secondly how much could we do in a week?

I was thinking a couple of days in Las Vegas plus a drive out to the Grand Canyon. How realistic is it to have time to visit other places such as Monument Valley/Bryce Canyon/Hoover Dam as well as the Grand Canyon. I was hoping we could make a loop to and from Las Vegas!

Are there any other additional/ places you would recommend to stop as well or instead?

What are accommodation options like in February? and prices?

We will be with teenagers who don't mind the driving.

Thank you

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Hi

You stoll can encounter snow at Grand Canyon NP, Bryce and even Zion. GC is 7000' Bryce even 8000' +

With one week you can make a trip like:

1. Las vegas-Zion

2. Zion

3. Zion-Bryce

4. Bryce-Page (Antelope Canyon, Horseshoebend, Glen Canyon Dam etc)

5. Page--South rim (north rim still will be closed)

6. GC

7. GC-Las Vegas

Or in reverse.

But that won't leave you time for Las Vegas itself.

Make your reservations for GC in advance www.grandcanyonlodges.com

A great addition to this trip would be Sedona and Monument Valley but I don't think you'll have the time from them.

The Dam in Page has almost same size as Hoover Dam but you can visit Hoover Dam and the Colorado Riverbridge between Las vegas and GC. Also between LV and GC there are parts of R66 worth visiting like at Seligman.

With 2 days in Las Vegas you could do:

1.2: Las Vegas

3. To Zion

4. To Bryce

5. To GCNP

6. GCNP

7. To Las Vegas

Or spend an extra day in Zion and only stay GC for one night. Las itinerary will be rather rushed though.

Avoid staying in Las Vegas in the weekend. Prices will be much higher then.

Tet

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Tet has given you a good plan. How old are the teenagers? I ask because while there are some family oriented shows and attractions in Las Vegas, I would hesitate to take young people there. Las Vegas is mostly about gambling, drinking and sex, and a lot of this is on display in very suggestive, explicit ways. (Think large panel truck type vehicles driving up and down the streets with pictures of nearly nude women full length on the sides, with small areas around the more private parts blocked with black strips.) It's hard to avoid stuff like that, if that is a concern for you.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Tet's given you a good itinerary. Southwest travel distances are long and with a week, you'll have just enough time to do the "grand circle" (i.e. the loop that Tet's outlined) but will not really leave you time for Las Vegas. Be aware that the elevations at the Parks (Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, etc.) are higher than Las Vegas and will mean cold winter conditions in February. Be prepared for below-freezing temperatures and snow, especially at Bryce.

Public debauchery aside (which, fwiw, hasn't been an issue for us), Las Vegas may be a little boring for kids beyond a day or two, especially outside of pool season.

Zuid Holland
Level Contributor
124 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

We are now looking at coming at the beginning of May instead of feb.

how does that compare weather wise?

Also the Grand Canyon is a must and Hoover Dam prefered.

If we had to pick between Zion NP and Bryce Canyon which should we choose?

These parks are obviously huge. Any suggestions at to exactly where to go in these parks to get the best sense of the scenery/views. We are coming from Europe so just dont have this!

Do you know of any links to sites that detail the 'Grand circle' or similar tours to give us an idea of where exactly to go as obviously we are trying to get the most out of our visit in a very short and fleeting trip

Thanks a lot

Zuid Holland
Level Contributor
124 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

Btw we were thinking 1-2 full days max in Las Vegas itself will be more than enough with the children. We can see all the free shows and visit many of the famous hotels. We don't need to go to aquariums or go on loads of rollercoasters, we can do that elsewhere.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

May will be much better than februari. Nice and warm in Las Vegas. Still chilly at nights at GC and Bryce.

For things to do in the NPs check their websites

www.nps.gov/grca

www.nps.gov/zion

www.nps.gov/brca

You can stop at Hoover Dam on the way to GCNP south rim. North rim will be closed till mid may.

Zion is closer to Las Vegas than Bryce. With teenagers I''d pick Zion. They will like The Narrows (still will be cold) and brave people hike to Angels Landing. Around Las Vegas you''ll find great places like Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire.

Tet

7. Re: Las Vegas and Surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 17:18