We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paige Itinerary

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Paige Itinerary

My husband and I are thinking of going to see Antelope Canyon in August. We have 4 days (plus an overnight stay on the way home in Phoenix). We have already been to the GC and Sedona and Scottsdale. I was thinking of staying in Paige and going to Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell?, and Monument Valley?

1) How far is Paige from Phoenix?

2) Is Paige a good stopping point for Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, and Monument Valley?

3) Are there any other sites within a hour drive from Paige that are worth seeing?

thanks

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paige Itinerary

Hi Noelle and welcome to the forum. First off the name of the city is "Page" (drop the "i") :) In answer to your questions:

<<1. How far is Page from Phoenix?>> It typically takes 4.5-5 hours to make the drive, but it is very scenic, so don't be surprised if you find yourself stopping a lot to take pictures. Just North of Flagstaff, you might consider stopping at Wupatki/Sunset Crater National Monuments, which feature a very well-preserved Native dwelling complex and a dormant volcano respectively. Another hour North of there is the Cameron Trading Post, a real Old West Trading Post dating back to 1915. If you're hungry by this point, you might consider stopping into the on-site restaurant for a Navajo Taco.

<<2) Is Page a good stopping point for Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, and Monument Valley?>> Definitely! You're centrally located to not only these attractions but many others (I'll elaborate on those in a bit). Antelope Canyon is a short ways out of town on the Navajo Indian Reservation. You can see it by driving down directly to the entrance on the highway, or if you just want to see Upper Antelope Canyon, tours are available that depart right out of Page. The Lake is about a 10 minute drive from town. Monument Valley is a bit further away, about 2 hours each way. If you'd rather not spend that much time behind the wheel in a day, you might consider devoting an overnight visit to this area, or perhaps an air/ground tour from the Page Municipal Airport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYkTHJBvtkw

<<3) Are there any other sites within a hour drive from Paige that are worth seeing?>> Almost TOO many! There's Zion National Park (actually more like 1 hour 15 minutes each way), Paria Canyon, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Marble Canyon/Lees Ferry, various hoodoo sites near Wahweap and Paria, Horseshoe Bend ... not in order of proximity to Page and that's just a small sample. There are also lots of great activities available in the Page area such as float trips on the Colorado River, boat tours on Lake Powell, tours of Antelope Canyon as I previously mentioned, and a variety of very scenic and relatively easy hikes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgA2TWxGir0

Hope that helps you get started! You'll want to get your lodging secured fairly soon as August falls within Page's peak tourism period.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paige Itinerary

I love answers like K-Bot's--all anyone else replying has to do is say "Ditto".

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paige Itinerary

thank you so much for your post. This helps with my trip!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paige Itinerary

LOL STL :)

That reminds me of a couple of houses here in Evanston WY - 1 house is holiday-decorated to the hilt with Xmas lights, Santa statues, mechanical deer, etc., and the house next door just has a sign on it that says "Ditto" with an arrow pointing to the neighbor's house.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,148 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paige Itinerary

Ditto, with a caveat...

While Page is relatively convenient to Monument Valley, I usually recommend a night at the View Hotel at Monument Valley and at least a half day back country (native) guided tour there to make it all worth while. The drive from Page as noted takes a good 2 hours. The history, culture and scenery there are the big attractions, and for maximum exposure and best photo ops, you really should try to be there for a sunset and a sunrise. The View Hotel is the only hotel inside the tribal park and will enhance your visit in more ways than you can imagine.

Since you have plenty of days to work with, I'd book one night at Monument Valley

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paige Itinerary

Is the closest large airport to Page, Phoenix? Or, is there a closer airport in another state?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paige Itinerary

There is a small airport in Page (PGA) that does have air service. Flights are available through Great Lakes Airlines (United codeshare) from Phoenix and Denver (although on a more limited basis for Denver). However, most people tend to fly into either Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX) or Las Vegas McCarran (LAS). Both airports are ~4.5 hours drive from Page.

The reason there aren't more takers on the flights to Page, well... a few reasons: 1. Great Lakes is a commuter airline. They fly 19-seater Beechcraft 1900's, and some folks don't care for smaller planes. 2. The flight leg from Phoenix/Denver to Page can end up being just as expensive as the flight from your city into the connecting airport. 3. Operation of flights are often contingent on a certain number of people flying, which can result in delays of a few hours or overnight, which can pose a problem if you have non-refundable hotel or tour reservations.

If you can get past these issues, you might consider flying right into Page, they do have a rental car outlet (AVIS), but you would need to drop your car back in Page, or else you would incur some rather hefty drop-off fees.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paige Itinerary

Phoenix and Las Vegas are about the same distance from Page. Depending on your itinerary and also factors such as flight times and costs and also rental car costs (there can be a significant difference in rental rates) one may make more sense than the other. But time and distance will be 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.........

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paige Itinerary

K-Bot always has very thought out well writen GREAT responses. ;) So, ditto from me too!

I would second what STL said in that you should really check flight schedules and rates as well as car rental prices. I would also suggest you check all the major rental agencies' prices because I have found that they greatly vary.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,713 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paige Itinerary

I'll go with ditto on K-bot's detailed reply, ditto on RedRox's caveat, and ditto StL's advice on ariport logisitics. ;-)