We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

My wife and I want to see the sites of Arizona sometime late February or early March 2009. We are thinking of renting a motor home but not sure if this is the best way to see Arizona or the time is good for weather. Any information would be great. thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

In southern Arizona, the weather would be perfect! In Northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon, however, you might get snow/ice. A motor home can be a great way to get around without having to pack and unpack, it just depends on how comfortable you are with driving it, finding parking, etc. It is definitely "doable" in most areas, just consider carefully the possibility of snow up north. Another option is to simply rent a car, and then choose several cities and hotels as "base camps" for exploring the sites.

There are dozens of great sites to see and countless things to do here; my best advice would be to peruse these boards for past posts and itineraries, get a feel for which areas you want to visit, and then start planning. As for your time frame, Feb/March is high season in most cities of Arizona, and many hotels will be booking up quickly. So, that's another consideration if you decide to go with hotels instead of a motor home.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

If you can wait till late March you might not get as much snow if you want to visit the Norther area which does include the GS s rim. If you don't mind missing it I would stick to Sedona, Scottsdale and the southern region of Arizona where it stays warmer. If there is a break in the weather and its in the 40s and sunny then you would be able to enjoy it but the roads can be very tricky if you aren't familiar with driving in it. And the roads in Flagstaff and other northern az towns can be a mess when it snows.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,214 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

You've allowed plenty of time to see the whole state, at least for a taste. I'd schedule yourselves in the south on the front end and then work your way north. Be sure to allow some time out in Quartzite for the world's largest RV rally that goes on for most of the winter with several special event weeks.

As you get up into northern AZ you might want to prebook in places like the GCNP or Sedona as space might be limited and is always in high demand.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

I've taken many lengthy trips in my RV. In my opinion, for a month-long trip, you have to already know that you are comfortable sightseeing in an RV. Are you an experienced RVer? If so, I would say go for the RV. If not, I would do your trip by car.

If you like nature, AZ has State Parks, Nat'l Parks, and Nat'l Forest land that have many campgrounds. Then in some areas like Tucson, Phoenix, Sedona, you might want to rent a car locally for a few days to do your sightseeing while you stay in an RV Park there (unless you plan to tow a car).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,734 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

A little later would be better in terms of weather. There are pros and cons with an RV rental. One thing is the price as they can be pretty expensive. It's nice to have your bed with you all the time, but will be more difficult sightseeing and parking in cities. You can prepare your meals in the RV of course, but not sure if rentals come well enough equipped to cook a full dinner. We have been RV'ers for many years and we do a lot of barbequeing outside when in our RV - you might think of buying a cheap one.

You'll meet friendly people at RV parks, far more than in motels!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

If you are lucky you can meet very nice people in hotels too, especially if we are there-lol- Happy New Year.

7. Re: Best time and way to Arizon for 30 days +

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:21