We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

New York, NY
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

All:

My boyfriend and I are looking to drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas... here is a rough itinerary for our intended trip:

Day 1- Early flight to Phoenix, afternoon and night in Phoenix

Day 2- Early drive to Montezuma’s Castle and Sedona, night in Sedona

Day 3- Sedona all day, afternoon drive & night in Flagstaff

Day 4- Drive to Grand Canyon, night in Grand Canyon

Day 5- Grand Canyon AM, drive to Vegas PM

Day 6-8- Vegas

Any thoughts on the itinerary? Also, we're planning to go late winter/early spring... is this a good time? We're pretty flexible with dates at this point, and really would like to get the best value for our money (we'll be flying from NYC, so off- or shoulder-season would make a big difference in price). Any other recommedations

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,126 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

Book your GCNP accomodations NOW and then plan the rest of the itinerary around that. Unless you have something specific in mind for your night in Flagstaff, I'd stay night 3 in Sedona and just dive to the GCNP the next day. If you like packing and unpacking, fine. But otherwise, you'll not really gain anything by driving one hour closer just to spend the night.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

I, as well as probably most people, would agree with RedRox that Sedona is the preferred place to stay rather than Flagstaff. However, if your itinerary works out like you've shown and you don't mind changing hotels each night, you could explore Oak Creek Canyon as the last thing on the afternoon of day 3. By the time you drive to the north end of the canyon, you will practically be in Flagstaff. Then it might make sense to just stay in Flagstaff.

Any time of year is a great time to visit this area. We could still get a little snow in late winter/early spring, but it won't be nearly as much as in New York. Plus the scenery is spectacular here when it snows. More likely the weather will be bright and sunny, but cool.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

Welcome to the forum

Another option is:

Day 1: Arrive Phx, drive to Sedona

Day 2: Sedona

Day 3: Drive to and visit Flagstaff, visit Sunset Crater Volcano, the Painted Desert overlooks and Wupatki NM. Drive to Cameron and stop at the Trading Post, enter GCNP by its East Entrance and drive to GC Village.

Day 4: All day GCNP

Day 5: Drive to Las Vegas, visit Williams, Seligman and Hoover Dam on your way.

Day 6-8: Las Vegas.

That's what I would do.....

Tet

4. Re: Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Vegas roadtrip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:34