We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El tovar

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
El tovar

Does anyone have experience staying at el Tovar? I was able to book a deluxe queen room for 2 adults and 3 children ( all three kids could potentially sleep in same bed) But the price is pretty hefty. Is the standard queen room that much smaller? Is the deluxe queen worth the 200$ price difference. Called property to ask but have me a very generic answer. Looking for personal experiences. Thank you!

Lisa

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,706 Reviews
from USD 399.99*
USD 520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
639 Reviews
from USD 276.99*
USD 299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,214 Reviews
from USD 139.99*
USD 224.90
8 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El tovar

Lisa,

Our accommodations at the El Tovar Lodge (Deluxe Queen – first floor) was very spacious. In the room was the queen bed, desk, 2 lounging chairs, clothing dresser, 2 night side stands, large bathroom. The room is much larger than the standard El Tovar room. Our room was the last room in the north wing at the end of the hallway near the exit door, so we were literally steps from the Rim Trail with a view out our windows of the Rim Trail and the Hopi House. Being on the first floor meant we were at the same level as guest reservation and information desk, El Tovar Lounge and Dining Room and the really nice gift shop. Remember there are no elevators in the El Tovar. We most definitely thought it was worth the extra $$.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El tovar

Thank you for your help😃

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El tovar

Lisa - the reason you got a generic answer from the hotel is that room categories at El Tovar are NOT all the same size. The deluxe rooms are usually larger than standard rooms, but I've been in one deluxe room that was huge, and another deluxe room that was much smaller. And some of the standard rooms are TINY, while others have a bit more space. It's just luck of the draw what you'll get. When the hotel was originally built, there were many smaller rooms, and they shared bathrooms on each floor. The hotel has been renovated more than once over the years, and walls were removed, and bathrooms added to each room. Hence, the "non-standard" layout. We do love El Tovar, but if more space is what you're needing, you might consider Yavapai Lodge. They have family rooms with more beds.

Edited: 19 August 2018, 02:03
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El tovar

Seconding Hummingbird on inconsistent sizes of rooms. Unless you are really into being in El Tovar, I would stay at Yavapai if you can get a family room or Kachina/Thunderbird if the kids are willing to share a bed.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El tovar

Ok thank you. I think I’ll just chance it and hope for the best with the deluxe Queen. Just don’t tell my husband how much more it is😂. Just kidding. I only see us traveling too Grand Canyon once in our lives so I’m thinking why not stay in a historic hotel.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El tovar

Lisa,

You will appreciate the proximity of everything for your family just walking outside: nice views of the Grand Canyon to be enjoyed along the Rim Trail; ice cream and other treats nearby; the nearby Visitor Center, etc.

Do go to the El Tovar with the kids for breakfast. No reservations are taken for breakfast, but they do take reservations for dinner in the ElTovar dining room. An adult could go to the lounge ang get food and dessert to eat in your room with the kids. We did take out of dessert and ate in our room pie and chocolate cake and people watched looking out onto the Rim Trail.

Have a fun vacation!

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El tovar

Sounds perfect. Thank you.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,170 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El tovar

Excellent advice from the others. I’ve stayed at ET many many times and have never had two identical room. On the whole, they are unique, well used and maintained, but smaller and less modern than the newer options elsewhere inside the park. The trade off is the authentic historic charm. If you’re talking strictly about value for the dollar, choose Yavapai.

Don’t miss breakfast in the historic dining room, whether you stay there or not.

Reply to: El tovar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted