We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First pass itinerary feedback needed

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First pass itinerary feedback needed

My family of 3 (myself, spouse, 10 yr son) are planning a mid-April road trip. My spouse and I have been to some of the sites previously (GC, Zion, Bryce) but want to share them with our son while also including some new to us stops. We are good road trippers, but even so, I wonder if I'm being too ambitious. The 10 yr old will do some light hiking, loves to scramble over rocks, interested in history, but has the usual limits for a 10 yr old. Variety is key.

I would love to get thoughts on this first attempt at an itinerary. I'm open to additions/subtractions and have the option to add one more day to the trip but would prefer not to do so unless really necessary. TIA!

Day 1: Fly to PHX - arrive evening, overnight PHX

Day 2: Flagstaff, Wupatki National Monument, Sunset Crater - overnight in/near GC

Day 3: Grand Canyon - overnight on drive to Petrified Forest (where?)

Day4: Finish drive to Petrified Forest, Petrified Forest, drive to Chinle - overnight Chinle

Day 5: Canyon de Chelly (4x4 tour/horseback ride?), drive south rim CdC, drive to MV- overnight MV area

Day 6: Monument Valley (tour? is it worthwhile to tour both MV and CdC tours?), Glen Canyon Dam tour, horseshoe bend, overnight Page

Day 7: Antelope Canyon tour, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, overnight near Bryce

Day 8: Bryce (horseback ride, light hiking), overnight near Zion

Day 9: Zion

Day 10: Zion AM, afternoon drive to Las Vegas, Cirque show

Day 11: Las Vegas, pool, strip, magic show, early night

Day 12: Fly home

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First pass itinerary feedback needed

Very aggressive plan. You’ll use about half of each day driving to the next stop. Advance hotel reservations are essential for each night.

Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley are entirely different. Book tours at both.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First pass itinerary feedback needed

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely have reservations for all lodging in advance. Any suggestions on what would you cut/tweak to make it less aggressive?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First pass itinerary feedback needed

Remember that it takes 2 nights just to have one full day at any place. You don’t have one of those until the very last stop on your marathon.

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
940 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First pass itinerary feedback needed

I think your plan is aggressive, but possible. It will probably be exhausting. My family and I did a similar trip when our daughter was 9.

Be sure to get to your destinations before sunset. Besides missing the beautiful driving scenery, it is really dark and little to no cell service is available.

You could try Holbrook for the PFNP night. I think with your itinerary it makes sense to plan to arrive at each destination in the evening and do your actual sight seeing the next morning.

I would really recommend you stay in the park at the GC and at Bryce Canyon City for Bryce. For Zion it makes sense to stay in Springdale.

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First pass itinerary feedback needed

Stephanie H- Thank you for your thoughts! I very much agree with your suggestions.

RedRox - Thank you for your input. It's a balancing act. Not every place deserves a full day. I've done trips where we have stayed a night too long and wasted valuable time. I do agree that it is a lot of driving and I'm looking to scale back somewhere. I'm hoping to get some insight as to what/where to cut or edit.

Reply to: First pass itinerary feedback needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted