We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to Tucson Boneyard

Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Phoenix to Tucson Boneyard

We will be visiting Arizona later this month and plan on taking a day trip (Friday) from Scottsdale to Tucson Plane boneyard.Have made reservations for 11am tour of Boneyard,and we are wondering how long we need to allow for the trip from Scottsdale to Tucson on a Friday morning.

Also wondering about return journey from Tucson after dark. Are there any wild life ,etc we should be on the lookout for.

We do have this problem after dark on outback roads in Australia.

Any suggestions please?

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
2 replies to this topic
TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix to Tucson Boneyard

I would give it 2 to 2-1/2 hrs. Traffic on I-10 is not fun! I have driven that stretch many times after dark, perfectly safe, have never encountered wildlife on the road. Doesn't mean it can happen though, just never encountered in my 50+ years of driving

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix to Tucson Boneyard

You'll need to give yourself a bit of extra time because you will be leaving during morning rush hour, though I believe you're mostly going against traffic there. 2.5 hours is probably good. It's very easy to reach once you're on I-10.

I've never seen any wildlife on the interstate. Certainly no kangaroos, though the ostriches from the farm at Picacho may periodically escape. There's always some traffic, so the wildlife probably avoids it. You should worry more about the other drivers and, depending on when you're going, dust storms.

Make sure you read the rules before you get to the Boneyard tour. There are a lot of things that you'll need to leave in the car, and that needs to be planned for in the summer because the heat can melt electronics and other things.

Reply to: Phoenix to Tucson Boneyard
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted