We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

Hello,

Thanks to those who have taken time to write trip reports and who respond to questions on this forum. You have helped us get our vacation plans this far. We are now looking for places of interest that are less visited, hidden gems, or “off the wall” things that will not take us too far off our planned routes. I hope you can help us “tweak” our vacation plans.

We are two friends visiting Grand Canyon North Rim (GCNR), Page, Monument Valley and then onto national parks in Utah. All lodging is booked.

Arr Las Vegas, Saturday, 5/26 (Memorial Day weekend), 8:30 a.m. After getting luggage, rental car, breakfast, and groceries somewhere, the goal is to be on the road by noon (really hoping earlier than this)

First destination - GCNR. Looking at a paper map, it appears that the route we need to take is: I15N to UT59S to AZ389E to US89Alt to AZ67S taking you through St George, Colorado City, Fredonia and on to Jacobs Lake. Since it takes over 4 hrs to get to GCNR, we are not planning on any sightseeing. Just stops for gas and maybe a cookie at Jacobs Lake. Hope they still have them by the time we get there. Any comments or recommendations for this route?

Also, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona are on the same time. Correct?

2. Monday, May 28. Depart GCNR for Page. On our way to Page, we plan on stopping at the overlooks and Vermillion Cliffs site, Navajo Bridge. Are there other places of interest that we could explore, keeping in mind that we would like to arrive at Horseshoe Bend by mid-afternoon?

3. In Page, any suggestions for things we could do? Both of us have already done Antelope Canyon tours and the Glen Canyon dam. Visiting the Powell museum is on the list. I imagine with it being Memorial Day, the town will be crazy with visitors.

4. Tuesday, May 29. Departing Page for Monument Valley. Would like stop at the Code Talkers memorial in Kayenta. Anything else that would be of interest for us to see on the way? We do not have to be at Monument Valley until late afternoon (we realize that Monument is on mountain time though). We have a sunset Navajo Spirit Tour reserved for that evening but we do want to visit Gouldings and the historic sites there. On our list - walking the Wildcat trail depending on temperature and time of day.

That is the Arizona portion of our trip. In two weeks we will be on our way!

Faye

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
2,031 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Utah
Utah
United States
Fredonia
Fredonia
Arizona
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
11,660 Reviews
Page, AZ
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,787 Reviews
Page, AZ
Glen Canyon Dam
Glen Canyon Dam
845 Reviews
Tonalea Coconino County, AZ
Powell Museum
Powell Museum
164 Reviews
Page, AZ
Kayenta
Kayenta
Arizona
Wildcat Trail
Wildcat Trail
302 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
8 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

In Monument Valley are you staying at the View Hotel? If so, you can get great Sunrises from your room:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/27016029908/

For Monument Valley, in addition to the Wildcat Trail consider hiking the Lee Cly Trail and Mesa Trail to get to higher elevation to see different buttes. All three begin at the View Hotel.

You have done the Antelope Canyon tours, but have you done the night photography tour in Upper Antelope Canyon?

https://www.navajoantelopecanyon.com/

See pictures of the stars above Upper Antelope Canyon I took this spring on the tour which is limited to 12; for my tour it was only me and the guide:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/40845900782/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/40888059161/

In Utah, a state park my wife and I liked was Snow Canyon State Park "the Little Zion". It has petrified sand dunes, slot canyon, cinder cone trail, etc - just north of St. George.

Also in St George for culture - go to the outdoor Tuacahn Amphitheatre surrounded by the red rock of St. George. The Broadway musical season begins during your trip.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 20:59
Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,787 Reviews
Page, AZ
Upper Antelope Canyon
Upper Antelope Canyon
1,603 Reviews
Page, AZ
Utah
Utah
United States
Snow Canyon State Park
Snow Canyon State Park
506 Reviews
Utah
Tuacahn Amphitheatre
Tuacahn Amphitheatre
539 Reviews
Ivins, UT
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

-- You may want to stop at the Le Fevre Overlook near Fredonia. It'll be on your left.

>>Also, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona are on the same time. Correct?<<

No. When it's 4 am in Nevada (PDT) or Arizona (MST), it's 5 am in Utah (MDT).

2. I like the original cliffdwellers ruins that are just east of the Cliffdwellers Lodge/Restaurant.

3. Wahweap Overlook for sunset. You may also want to linger a bit at Lone Rock Beach.

4. You'll be passing by the Navajo National Monument. Maybe you'll have time for a stop.

Mentioned in this post
Fredonia
Fredonia
Arizona
Utah
Utah
United States
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Wahweap Overlook
Wahweap Overlook
73 Reviews
Page, AZ
Navajo National Monument
Navajo National Monument
226 Reviews
Shonto, AZ
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

........................consider hiking the Lee Cly Trail and Mesa Trail to get to higher elevation to see different buttes. All three begin at the View Hotel.

I've only ever done the Wildcat too and was surprised to hear this.

Difficult to get info on these, will look into further.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

If you aren’t going to do an Antelope Canyon Tour, you are going to have a lot of time on your hands on your full day in Page. The Powell Museum isn’t going to take that much time. You’ll be looking at most of the day to fill with stuff to do. Too bad you didn’t get a second night at the North Rim.

Some other possible activities to consider.

Do one of the boat tours out of Wahweap Marina. There’s a 6 hour tour to Rainbow Bridge and shorter 1 to 2 hour boat tours.

Do the half ay smooth float trip on the Colorado River.

Spend some time at Lone Rock Beach State Park. However, that places will be crazy crowded on that weekend.

Or, on the day you transition from the North Rim, detour to Marble Canyon and Lee’s Ferry and put your toes in the Colorado River. Delay your hike to Horseshoe Bend until the next day. Horseshoe Bend is best viewed late morning to mid day. Also by mid afternoon, it’s going to be hot at the Bend.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,787 Reviews
Page, AZ
Powell Museum
Powell Museum
164 Reviews
Page, AZ
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
2,031 Reviews
Wahweap RV & Campground
Wahweap RV & Campground
351 Reviews
Page, AZ
Colorado River
Colorado River
45 Reviews
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
11,660 Reviews
Page, AZ
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

Axelbobo,

Planning our trip to Monument Valley I did some intensive web research on the trails at the View Hotel. There are 3 trails that originate at the View Hotel. The Wildcat Trail that goes around the West Mitten Butte, the Lee Cly Trail which goes towards Mitchell Mesa and Mesa Rim Trail which is a very sandy trail that splits off from the Lee Cly Trail. The last two trails are more recent additions (2016) to the trail system as the View Hotel.

Background on the trails here:

https:/…

There is a map for the Lee Cly Trail online:

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/monume…

Here is a youtube video about the newer trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkv4RlltL4c

Here is a nice photo blog of the new trails:

https:/…

Upon arriving at the View and checking in you can ask for a map showing where these new trails begin. My wife walked the trails while i was was looking at my photographs. Brief impressions of the trails are in my trip report from this spring for Monument Valley and beyond

https:/…ShowTopic-g28924-i139-k11375943-

Mentioned in this post
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Rim Trail
Rim Trail
1,288 Reviews
NJ
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

When I was doing a similar trip many years ago- Went to Coral Pink Sand Dunes state park and the "Dinosaur Tracks"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/coral-pink/

Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

Thank you all for your suggestions.

SwimFan: Thanks for the information on the additional trails at Monument Valley. Yes, we are staying at The View on 5/29 which will be a full moon. That night photography tour of Antelope Canyon peaked our interest. We are both interested in photography and there are still some openings available. Also, adding Snow Canyon SP to our list for an option while driving back to Las Vegas on our last day.

JaneS: Thanks for the "heads up" on the Le Fevre Overlook. Will watch for signage. Also, appreciate the clarification of the time zones and I have added the cliff dweller ruins, Lone Rock beach (may be too crazy for us on Memorial day though) Wahweap Overlook and the Navajo National Monument on our list.

Connie B: We do have two nights at the north rim - arriving Sat. evening and leaving Monday morning. Lees Ferry and dipping our toes in the Colorado river sounds like something we need to do. I mentioned this to my friend while her husband was nearby and he started smirking and this is exactly why the husband is staying home. They drove through Page last year and he wouldn't stop at Horseshoe Bend which is the reason for our overnight in Page. We are also looking into the 1 1/2 hour cruise. The dinner cruise is full.

PAL.: I have put the Moenkopi Dinosaur track/Coral Sand Dunes SP (same place, right?) on our list. I think we might have time to make a detour to see this.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,787 Reviews
Page, AZ
Wahweap Overlook
Wahweap Overlook
73 Reviews
Page, AZ
Navajo National Monument
Navajo National Monument
226 Reviews
Shonto, AZ
Colorado River
Colorado River
45 Reviews
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
11,660 Reviews
Page, AZ
NJ
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley

think so! when I went there was just this hokey sign with lights in the middle of nowhere indicating dinosaur tracks! I knew it was there from friends who had driven by on one of their trips. Enjoy regardless!!!

Reply to: Grand Canyon north rim, Page and Monument Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted