We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Lee, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Hello! We are taking Amtrak from Chicago to Flagstaff. We stay in Flagstaff for 2 nights, then go to the Thunderbird Lodge for 2 nights. After that we have reservations for 2 nights at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley and leave there Friday morning. That leaves Friday, Saturday and Sunday open before we have to be in Las Vegas Monday afternoon We will have a car and will stop at the Hoover Dam on our way to Vegas. My question is this - what else makes sense to see? There is so much! Other things we are considering are: Route 66 from Flagstaff to Kingsman, Sedona and Bryce Canyon. We know we can't do it all and are looking for suggestions on how to spend those three days between Gouldings Lodge and Vegas. Thank you in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,908 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

I’d choose Sedona. 3 nights is ideal.

When are you traveling?

Edited: 10 May 2018, 06:15
Lee, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Thank you RedRox! We are leaving this Friday from Chicago.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,908 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Book lodging ASAP. Weekends get busy at Sedona.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
631 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Not to throw a wrench in your plan, because the suggestion for Sedona is a very valid one, but logistically it seems like a bit of backtracking to me.

If you are going from Flagstaff to Monument Valley, you're heading north into Utah. With your final destination of Las Vegas ultimately being west (and a little south) you might want to consider exploring Moab, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Zion or Lake Powell/Page, Az than heading to Vegas.

I would think heading back south through Flagstaff to Sedona, covers a lot of the same territory you had already seen.

I know your trip is in a few days but could you fit Sedona in while you're in the Flagstaff area, so you can maximize your potential?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,908 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions

Hmmm...an extra 2 hours driving through Painted Desert?

Reply to: Southwest Itinerary Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted