We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona trip

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Arizona trip

Hi I am planning a trip with my 15 yr old in a couple of weeks...we will arrive phoenix about 17.00 and wondered if its worth getting the car and straight on the road towards Sedona (im not sure if can do the whole drive as our flight is from the uk and will be fairly tired) We have 5 nights in total and will fly back from vegas...Any advice on where is best to stay/do/see? We clearly want to see the GC and am also interested in any ghost towns ....Im on quite a tight budget so would appreciate any tips with accomodation...At the moment i havent booked anything and was wondering if its possible to just 'wing it' with motels? Any advice...much appreciated..

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,639 Reviews
from USD 399.99*
USD 520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
542 Reviews
from USD 276.99*
USD 299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,125 Reviews
from USD 142.99*
USD 224.90
13 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona trip

You should check lodging at Grand Canyon immediately as that will likely determine your route and which stops you can make. The links were provided last month in response to your other post. The distances between destinations in the west are long and the towns are remote. With only 5 nights most of your days will be spent in the car just getting from place to place. It is not an area where you can just wing it. Accommodations are limited and you might find your self driving an hour (likely closer to 2) to the next town.

Personally, I would spend the night in the outskirts of Phoenix since you will be quite tired. Try Anthem which will get you out of the city for a quicker start the next morning.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Anthem
Anthem
Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona trip

Save on the car rental by using a off airport agency ... Often COSTCO has the best rates ... Also returning to PHX will save on one-way charges. Choose lodging that has a airport shuttle and access to the rental agency ... You do not. want to brave commute hour traffic on that first afternoon ... happy trails ... carracar

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,775 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona trip

Booking lodging needs to be your top priority. Grand Canyon National Park lodging books as much as a year in advance.

As for your arrival, I’d plan to spend that first night near PHX.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona trip

When I fly to London, I am exhausted. I would high recommend you spending the night before heading north.

There are some hotels near Happy Valley Rd and 17 just north of Phoenix as you exit the city limits. You'll find Hampton Inn and Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, and Drury Inn and Suites to mention a few reasonably priced places to stay. Some include a free breakfast. and there are several restaurants in that area.

If you are arriving M-F you will be arriving during rush hour so take your time leaving the airport and picking up your rental car. There will be a lot of traffic. I would take 51 north to 101 west to 17 north to avoid the nightmare on 17 through the city that time of day. The car rental can draw you a map. Take lots of patience and be careful. We have crazy drivers from all over the world who live here. I hope you enjoy our beautiful state as much as I have enjoyed your part of the world.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 04:08
Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Drury Inn & Suites Flagstaff
Drury Inn & Suites...
1,269 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,431 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona trip

grandcanyonlodges.com/ 5 in park lodges, Xanterra - 888-297-2757

visitgrandcanyon.com/ 1 in park lodge - Yavapai Lodge - 877-404-4611

Tusayan: hotels in the village just outside the park (use travel site or TA)

nps.gov/grca/ park website for park information

Park lodges book up to a year in advance. Sometimes cancellations happen in park lodging and don't appear quickly on the website. If no availability on the website, call often and ask about availability. The park no longer produces a newsletter. Information about programs, shuttles, overlooks, etc. can be found on the park website. GCNP South Rim is very self-touring.

Read Top Questions at right in GCNP forum (on a PC not a phone).

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,902 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Grand Canyon South Rim
Grand Canyon South Rim
20,383 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona trip

Hi Many thanks for all your tips and i know its going to be a lot of driving...Ive now booked the grand canyon hotel in Williams for the 3rd nt and will book something in Sedona for the second and something on outskirts of Phoenix for 1st night....Does this sound like a plan?

many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona trip

Williams is an hour away from the Grand Canyon. Listen to the advice given above, especially post #5, about booking accommodations inside the National Park or at least in Tusayan. Staying in Williams makes it difficult to be at the Canyon for sunrise and sunset, which are highlights.

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician
The Canyon Suites at The...
451 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizona trip

ok thx so much for your advice... thing is im air crew and coming on standby tickets so dont want to book too much up as could get charged if dont get on flights... now looking at flying from phoenix to flagstaff to save on hours in car..would i really miss out on drive through sedona? or stay at williams and then on to tusyan? soz for being bit dumb but its years since been to the canyon and want my daughter to have the best time...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,775 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arizona trip

Flying to FLG will take longer than driving from PHX. Williams is still a lousy base for Grand Canyon National Park. Book something inside the park or in Tusayan.

Sedona will be your favorite stop on the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arizona trip

Ah thanks RedRox ...will cancel williams and book tusayan ..

Reply to: Arizona trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted