We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

Family of 9 - ages range from 52, 48, most of us 20 something and a 2 year old. Want to see wildlife, glacers, sled dogs, do some flightseeing, possibly kayak and/or ATV. Do not want to rush it tho. Have 12 days plus two travel days. July 27 - Aug. 9. Our time zone is 4 hours ahead of Alaska. I have the plane booked and RV along with a rental van that two of us will sleep in.

Saturday - Arrive Anchorage 8:44PM This is going to be a very long day.

Overnight in our RV and rental van. Not ideal but that is the plan. Can't afford a

hotel for that many people.

Sunday - Sleep in. With the time difference I am sure we will be up early according to Alaska time!

Check out RV, get groceries and supplies in Anchorage or Wasilla.

Head to Talkeetna/flightseeing w/glacer landing - not sure time for this.

Plan for naps!

Overnight Healy. Want to be close to Denali and husband needs electricity for CPAP.

Monday - Denali, split in two groups. One group doing the shuttle @ 7AM to Wonder Lake - ?

Group 2, entrance activities with 2 year old. Will have van if they want to

go somewhere else. Not sure if it is worth the drive to North Pole.

Overnight/Healy

Tuesday - Denali, groups switch, but 2YO not going on shuttle!

Maybe some will do an ATV tour, not on top of our list as we live on a farm and have

ATV's - just never take out and ride except for using with livestock. So not the same.

Wednesday - Head towards Anchorage

Flightseeing in Talkeenta if not able to fly on Sunday.

Get more groceries/supplies in Wasilla or Anchorage.

Overnight Anchorage, or just South of Anchorage, where-ever we end up.

Thursday - Turnagain Arm drive, take time with multiple stops.

Overnight Whitter

Friday - Major Marine PWS tour

Maybe do some hikes, sled dog tour ?

Overnight Whitter

Saturday - Drive to Homer, take time seeing the sights and making stops in Hope.

Overnight Homer

Sunday - Kilcher Homestead Tour

Homer Spit

Overnight Homer

Monday - Halibat fishing in Homer. Only for part of us!

Kayak - maybe.

Overnight in Homer

Tuesday - Head to Seward

Sightseeing, sled dog tour maybe.

Overnight Seward

Wednesday - . Major Marine Tour 8.5 hours

Overnight Seward

Thursday - More time for walks/Exit Glacer. Worth it to take guided tour? Or do on own?

Head towards Anchorage

Overight .....maybe Girwood

Friday - Finish drive to Anchorage

Return RV by noon

Flight home at 4:30PM

Want to make sure I am not doing too much each day. Thank you for your time and help. I have spent a year and half reading TA!!! So much info!!!

Traci

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
327 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

Sounds very relaxed and doable.You may be surprised at how well you pull up after travelling - it's only a 4 hour time diff and you will be excited about your holiday. It'll be just like having a late night really :) Did you have anything specific you wanted comments on or just an overall impression?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

So are you needing campgrounds/RV parks every night with electricity for CPAP?

Edited: 13 March 2013, 10:05
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

Sounds like a fun trip! I think spending that first night in the RV will work to your advantage. Gives you the opportunity to get things put away (and fight over the limited storage) plus get familiar with the RV's layout operation.

I don't know how a CPAP works but I remember seeing an inverter on my Rental Item List from GAH so I just pulled the list ... it's a 300 watt inverter with a comment about testing your CPAP before you leave. So if you have the inverter, does that mean you don't need electricity? Might be worth asking about. That would open up more campgrounds or boondocking opportunities for you.

As for an inexpensive hotel in Anchorage. This place looks nice enough if you don't mind a shared bathroom. Might save you a day on the rental van. http://www.sockeyeinn.com/

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

Denalicat - We do not have to have electricity we can use the generator. It is my understanding that if we stay in the campgrounds in Denali you can not run a generator except during limited hours. Otherwise, we would look at staying there. I understand Healy to be close to the Denali entrance, that is our reason for staying there. I do not have any camgrounds pick out yet. Only want to book things that must be booked in advanced.

Yescanada - I believe the inverter is for more power(watts) to run the CPAP machine. We can use the generator and thus do not have to have electricity. But I think with so many people we need water hook ups. I don't think we could all get a shower on the water stored in the tank. But I have never RV'd before!!!

Going to be interesting I am sure. Thank you all for your input. FYI - I did not type my post so spread out, sorry about that. Not sure what happened.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

The drive from Anchorage to Whittier will not take that much time, even with stops along Turnagain Arm. Driving to Homer with a stop at Hope, be aware that is a side trip and is not on the Seward Highway. As for the Kilcher Homestead we have not done that. There is Seaside Farms (Mossie Kilcher) and another further east on East End Road (I think it is Kilcher Drive) beyond Fritz Creek. There are other things to do in Homer.

6. Re: Itinerary/14 days/Anchorage/Denali/Seward/Homer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 15:15