We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights coupon book 2013

S S
California
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights coupon book 2013

I read here about used coupon books available for sale. Is this too early for the 2012-2013 ones, since its not peak season yet? I have been looking, but haven't found any on ebay/amazon.

Thanks,

S

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

Yes it is early to find used ones. People generally don't use them until May/June at the earliest, so you won't see them appear until mid June or so.

2. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 03:35
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

CDWHEAD, it is best to advertise them on EBay or elsewhere. Such selling is prohibited on TA (not to mention that your first post after being registered on TA for 10 years is this??).

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

The book was created as a non-profit fundraiser... Please help support!! Thank you.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

From their web site:

'The Northern Lights Dine-Out and Entertainment Book has proven to be an excellent vehicle for fund-raising activities. Last year over 110 community-based groups and organizations raised operating and program specific funds through the sale of the book.

Portions of our proceeds also directly benefit senior citizens via a direct donation to the Retired Senior Volunteer Program. Over the past years some $400,000 has been raised by RSVP in this manner. During the current year over 150 non-profit organizations will participate in the distribution of the book.

The Northern Lights Dine-Out & Entertainment Book will be marketed at $55 to the general public. Fully 50% – 55% of the total books sold will be sold through the non-profit sector. Some 60 retail locations will also be available as distribution outlets, inclusive of Barnes & Noble.'

I wish they said what percentage of the profits go to the RSVP and to the organizations selling them. Since I bought mine at Barnes & Noble, the only non-profit who would get anything out of my purchase would be RSVP.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

Good point alaskantiger. I take such "non-profit" claims with a grain of salt (no disrespect at all to glacierlady!). I know there was a coupon book sold locally promoting the Boy Scouts receiving a portion of each sale, but when I dug a bit deeper, I realized the Boy Scouts actually received very little of the revenue.

Their website says they have been doing this for over 30 years and plan to "market" (sell?) about 10,000 books this year. So let's say they sold 250,000 books in the 30+ years (less than 10K a year in the initial years). That is about $1.50/book or so going to charity or about 3%. That is a very rough estimate.

It also appears that non-profit groups can sell the book (I assume they buy them at a discount). Their site says 50% of the books are sold this way.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 05:56
7. Re: Northern Lights coupon book 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 14:17