We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

Auckland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

Well I think I had the best gelato I have ever eaten at the Waiheke gelato place. The chocolate sundae with chocolate sauce was $12, but so worth it. Ended up having two over the weekend they were so good.

Avoid the Red Crab Thai resteraunt. Worst service I have had in a very long time, lied about running out of ingredients for drinks before aditting they were just too busy, tried to overcharge us(ALWAYS check your bill) and in general ruined what could have been a nice evening with very rude waiting and serving staff (except the water girl who was attentive and friendly).

At least the Gelato place just below it was awesome salvaging the evening!

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

You can't please everyone. We have many many good comments about the restaurant and the fact that it was very busy speaks volume. If you are not happy about something you should call us and let us know, then we have a chance to rectify any problem. If we don't do anything about it then you have a bone to pick. I happened to be there that evening and I think that the waiting staff were very nice to everyone, including you. The fact that they complimented you with a glass of wine when they could not make your cocktail was generous. No one lied about anything, we ran out of ingredient and being on the Island on Saturday evening. I will be happy to have a chat with you and address any issue, and if we can do something to change your mind about us we will endeavor to do that.

Auckland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

What a stupid reply Redcrab, you have just made the matter worse.You will suffer over winter if you do not get your act together now.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

Good gelato takes some beating though.

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

I have no problem with Red Crab restaurant, they have always been polite, and with prompt service when I have visited. As locals we appreciate a new dining (and takeaway!) option in Oneroa. It does get crazy here over the peak season, and it may not have been the best time to open a new business (I think the complex opened right at Christmas?) However the building was not ready until then (they were working long hours to try to get it ready), so the exact timing was probably not up to the new tenants.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
793 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

I was on Waiheke Island in January. I didn't try the Red Crab Restaurant but I think they deserve a settling in period before being totally rubbished.

They've only been open two months, and it's great to have new dining options available. Oneroa is much improved by the addition of these new food outlets in the centre. Let's hope they all get their act together and Waiheke will have even more to offer.

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

We dined at Red Crab most of the time in Oneroa. Excellent service and staff pleasantly accommodated all our resquests regarding slight changes to the menu. Food was excellent.

7. Re: Red Crab Resteraunt and Waiheke Gelatoaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 21:20
Get answers to your questions about Waiheke Island