We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Druskininskai what to do

Italy
Level Contributor
852 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Druskininskai what to do

I'm thinking to stop in this city before to reach Vilnius from Warsaw. Is it a good idea?

7 replies to this topic
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
447 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Druskininskai what to do

if you like SPA, water park, or you want to try obstacle track on the trees, go skiing (it is possible also in summer), or see Gruto parkas with soviet sculptures, do it ;)

Edited: 18 May 2015, 15:51
Italy
Level Contributor
852 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Druskininskai what to do

Thanks for answer. I'd like to know if I'd to do a walk or bike ride in the middle of nature but I don't have car .....are there some place near Vilnius where I can do it and Druskininskai could be an option?

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
447 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Druskininskai what to do

Both Druskininkai and Vilnius have a nice nature around, Druskininkai were developing bicycle paths in past years, so it is an option definitely.

Around Vilnius most popular place is Belmontas, it is part of pavilnių regional park, reachable by public transport (some 15min from city centre). You have restaurant there, but first of all - very nice nature.

Another regional park is Verkiai. This two are having internet page only in Lithuanian unfortunately, but maybe you will be able to translate something: http://www.pavilniai-verkiai.lt/

Also near Vilnius we have Europe geographical center, there is a park with various sculptures in the middle of nature: http://www.europosparkas.lt/index-lt.htm

you can also check this: http://www.neriesparkas.lt/?l=2 I think it is more difficult to reach, but worth it

LT
Level Contributor
854 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Druskininskai what to do

"Neries Regional Park" is reachable by bike in 3+ hours (if you know how to get out of the city quickly), then same time back. Wouldn't recommend to any foreigner who comes for the first time. The "good" route on and back is rather difficult to explain without looking at the map, while the road is quite unpleasant for bicycling (cars going fast and very narrow roadside, ~30cm; no bikepath) so if you choose the road those 3+ hours (x 2) would be spent rather stressfully. While the alternative route is diverse and interesting but difficult to identify by person who don't know the area.

Here is a downloadable bilingual leaflet with bike routes in Vilnius itself - vilnius-tourism.lt/wp-content/…Dvir_takai.pdf , check page 4 for short ride to Vingis park, you can use it as a test, it's not long, and you'll see both the centre, the historical district, the park (in fact, a piece of the pine forest), some of soviet + post-soviet residential blocks. Such a diverse mix of everything.

Both regional parks mentioned above by other poster are further from the centre and quite good options if you want to see some nature, by bike it would be quicker than by public transport, as walking is quite time-consuming, while by bike you can see much more during same time (and push the bike if the hill is too steep).

As for which one to choose - Verkiai (north) is rather easy to ride and people mostly go there to swim in Green Lakes. Since you don't tell when you're going to come, it may be or may be not relevant. Pavilniai RP (east) is more diverse, no lakes (only a rivulet), more hills, deceptive paths along the ravines, Belmontas area (with that restaurant mentioned above). A day can be spent easily without boredom.

Druskininkai, judging by your explanation, could be the option, but you should stay there at least for a night. The town itself is surrounded by heavy forests, not parks, but genuine old forests that are very close (and partialy within) the town. Town is quite small. It's a resort, not a regular town. So it is easy to do what you are talking about. Bicycle paths within town actually exist several decades already, they are for both patients in rehabilitation (it's a sanatorium town) and regular visitors, nice way to see the town itself.

In Vilnius' Pavilniai RP i'd suggest to start not from Belmontas but from the entrance in Žolyno street at 54.707994, 25.32998 (enter coordinates to any online map and see) and proceed from there towards Blemontas - first come to 54.704205, 25.355294 or 54.69968, 25.34845 (depends on which path you choose), then get to 54.692209, 25.353211 , from where you can see Belmontas itself, and there is a cognitive path near the restaurant (starts at 54.686306, 25.35734 and goes along the hill crest). All this is doable either by bike or by foot (+ public transport). On average pace it can take roughly a half-day.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
447 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Druskininskai what to do

regarding "neries regional park", it is possible to go there by train (to stop lazdėnai) and from there bike should be ok, just in case you really want to go there, but of course all other parks are closer and easier to reach

Italy
Level Contributor
852 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Druskininskai what to do

thank so match

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Druskininskai what to do

Hi,

Druskinnikai is very nice place for rest.

You can walk, bike and to make a boat tour alongside Nemunas River.

It would be also occassion to have some SPA treatment and to drink different spring water.

One time I spent there 2 weeks and I was very glad to explore this place.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Edited: 25 May 2015, 07:01
Reply to: Druskininskai what to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Druskininkai
Recent Conversations