We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling to Baltics for around 2 weeks in Aug/Sep.

Plan is to arrive by plane/ferry into Tallin and then travel by car down to Vilnius via Latvia over about 2 weeks.

For Estonia, I’m considering Tallin and then either west to the islands, or east to Narva/Tartu/Setomaa, and then on to Latvia.

We’re interested in culture/history/nature/food. Don’t need to see beaches so thinking of skipping Parnu etc.

How rushed/possible would it be to do Saremaa/islands and the east? Does the East make more sense given we’re heading south next?

Which is more representative of ‘traditional’ Estonia? And any pros/cons at that time of year (early Autumn?)

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Vilnius
Vilnius
Vilnius County, Lithuania
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Narva
Narva
Ida-Viru County, Estonia
Tartu
Tartu
Tartu County, Estonia
Parnu
Parnu
Parnu County, Estonia
4 replies to this topic
Tartu, Tartumaa...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

How many days are you planning to stay in Estonia? A pro for the western part (islands) would be that the seasons on the islands are usually about two weeks behind compared to the eastern part - therefore, it's more like summer and less like autumn (the same applies in the spring - when it's already nice and warm in Tartu, it's usually a lot colder in Saaremaa in May).

Otherwise it really depends on your interests - you can see more eastern/Russian culture in the east and more island culture with influences from Scandinavia on the islands. Where you're heading next doesn't really matter that much - if your next destination is e.g. Cesis in Latvia, it's 220 km from the Saaremaa ferry port (Virtsu) or 170 km from Tartu, therefore, the difference is just 50 km. If you're heading straight to Riga, it's closer from the ferry than from Tartu.

Mentioned in this post
Estonia
Estonia
Europe
Tartu
Tartu
Tartu County, Estonia
Saaremaa
Saaremaa
Saare County, Estonia
Latvia
Latvia
Europe
Riga
Riga
Riga Region, Latvia
Estonia
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

Although I visit Tartu quite often, I definitely like the islands (especially Saaremaa) more. You can skip Hiiumaa since the ferry connection between Saaremaa and the mainland is more frequent than between Hiiumaa and the mainland. In the end of August, it won't be the high season any more, so you won't have any queues heading to Saaremaa and back to the mainland.

Mentioned in this post
Tartu
Tartu
Tartu County, Estonia
Saaremaa
Saaremaa
Saare County, Estonia
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,153 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

I also favour the islands. Nice scenery and in many ways more traditionally Estonian.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?

Thanks all!

Looks like islands have the votes!

As we are planning to be there for about 2 weeks, I was thinking 4-5 days in each country. So 2 nights in Tallinn, 3 nights on Haapsula/islands/Parnu en route to Cersis.

Mentioned in this post
Tallinn
Tallinn
Harju County, Estonia
Parnu
Parnu
Parnu County, Estonia
Reply to: Estonia for 4-5 days - East v West?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted