We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour along Curonian spit?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tour along Curonian spit?

I'm looking for a tour along Curonian Spit, preferably bike tour. However, the offering I found on the web always include Poland as well, however I need to start my trip in Kaliningrad and end at Klaipėda (more accurately Smiltynė, as I need to stay for a few days before taking the ferry back to Klaipėda if possible), this is an absolute requirement for me because I am taking a flight to Kaliningrad and participate in competition in Smiltynė afterwards (There is no flight to Palanga from my region with a single transfer therefore in order to reach Klaipėda the nearest plausible airport is Kaliningrad with transfer at SVO)

Car rental is also good for me, but I doubt if it is possible to rent a car in Russia and return in EU.

Is there any recommendation for such tour (starting in Russia and ending in EU), or I have to do it on my own?

Mentioned in this post
Curonian Spit
Curonian Spit
2,298 Reviews
Kaliningrad, Russia
Poland
Poland
Europe
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia
Palanga
Palanga
Klaipeda County, Lithuania
Russia
Russia
Europe
4 replies to this topic
Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour along Curonian spit?

Car is not an option, not possible due to insurance regulations, and one way fee would still be very steep.

You don't need to stress about Smiltyne as it is only 5 mins away from Klaipeda on a ferry, ferries are very frequent, not a problem at all. Accommodation in Smiltyne is also very limited, Klaipeda has much more to offer.

If biking from Kaliningrad appears too complicated then the easiest is to take the bus to Nida and start from there.

Also worth mentioning that there are buses on the Lithuanian side of Curonian spit, you can go from village to village by bus and do some hiking if wanted. To get an idea of the frequency see this link, they will add more buses in the summer season:

visitneringa.com/en/…getting-to-neringa

Edited: 14 May 2018, 01:00
Mentioned in this post
Klaipeda
Klaipeda
Klaipeda County, Lithuania
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour along Curonian spit?

There are some POIs in the Russian section also, therefore I want to start the tour in Kaliningrad. Is it possible to go village by village by local bus in the Russian section also, until I reach the last village before the border crossing and take the cross-border bus there to Nida?

Mentioned in this post
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad
Vilnius, Lithuania
Destination Expert
for Lithuania, Vilnius
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour along Curonian spit?

I don't know about buses on Russian part of Curonian Spit, ask about it on Kaliningrad forum.

I've seen one company promoting itself on the recent thread about transfers during Football championship , but know nothing about their reputation or reliability :

neringatours.lt/en/…4216658

Mentioned in this post
Curonian Spit
Curonian Spit
2,298 Reviews
Kaliningrad, Russia
Kaliningrad
Kaliningrad
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
587 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour along Curonian spit?

Smiltyne has two ferry points, the Old Point and the New Point. They are located at a distance from each other. The New Point works 24/7.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 15:50
Reply to: Tour along Curonian spit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Klaipeda
More Klaipeda Topics