We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency conversion

nj
Level Contributor
536 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
currency conversion

We have uk pounds leftover from a previous trip. Can we use these in Budapest or should we convert them to local currency at the airport.

If we should convert, is there a better place than another to do this

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency conversion

convert at a currency exchange in the city center ... there are many

take a look at the Top Question about currency in the Top Questions box at the right of the forum home page ... it will give you a way to compare the rates at different bureaux

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency conversion

Addition:

DO NOT change your UK pounds at the airport! Wait until you get into the city!!!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency conversion

Hello again - spend them in the airport in London :)

nj
Level Contributor
536 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency conversion

I wont be in London

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency conversion

Just take them to Budapest and change them in the city at a reasonable exhange bureau. DO NOT change them at the airort or your hotel.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency conversion

You are probably a lot more intelligent about the money issue than I am. I’ve got a tin box full of currency from countless countries. Most of it is useless as decimals have been moved over the years, or the country no longer exists or maybe it exists but you can now go to jail for displaying the image of the dictator displayed on the notes.

I joke about spending the UK notes in the London airport because my wife has done just that when we change planes at Heathrow. Only took two layovers to clean that currency out of the box. Don once suggested depositing your spare money in the charity boxes found in most airports. I think that’s a good idea too. They didn’t exist when I gathered most of my collection of wall paper. My biggest problem now is about 40 pounds of Hungarian coins. I just don’t spend anything other than the 200’s.

If you have “real” sums of UK notes then do take them to an exchange house in town (not at the airport). I may have said this before but it isn’t a bad idea to get a quote on the sum you are presenting prior to making the exchange; then do the math and check the number. Sometimes they post one rate and then give you another rate because, so they say, the posted rate is for sums over some number greater than what you just handed them. Ask your hotel clerk for the nearest location (also don’t change in the hotels).

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency conversion

lara..you can use them in Turkey..especially if you are going to Bodrum..but you can change them anywhere

nj
Level Contributor
536 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency conversion

Great idea!

9. Re: currency conversion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 20:18