We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Split

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Budapest to Split

Is there train or "upscale" bus service between Budapest and Split, Croatia?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Split

You can find train schedule on www.oebb.at/en

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Split

Mind you, thats the site of the austrian railways. Here's the hungarian railways' site:

http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php

You can buy tickets at the station.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,594 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Split

I always recommend www.idos.cz as a user-friendly train timetable - even though it is Czech, it shows trains all over Europe.

From Budapest to Split it is a long journey by train - you would have to go to Zagreb first.

The bus would be better, and direct http://www.orangeways.com

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Split

There is no direct train service between Budapest and Split For the train, you would need to take one of the InterCity or EuroNight trains from Budapest to Zagreb, which are relatively upscale. Then change at Zagreb for the train to Split, which I believe is not upscale. If you post on the Croatia forum, you'll get better advice on train vs bus between Zagreb and Split.

As an alternative, Malev Airlines flies from Budapest to Split 5 times per week in the Spring/Summer season.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 13:08
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Split

Hi, I realize these posts are fairly old. but I am trying also to figure out the most economical way for my girlfriend and I to travel next May/13 from Budapest to Split....and return. I do see a train schedule posted from June to Sept. but when I key in May/13 it says information not available. Malev airlines and another small one no longer fly. Is it a really scenic route by train..it seems from what I understand to take 6 hours to Zagreb and 6 more to Split. Is that right? Is there only Eurorail trains? As I understand the bus from Budapest to Split is direct? which cuts down the time considerably. Thank you for your help

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,594 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Split

The information is no different from that which I have already given you :)

Budapest to Zagreb takes c. 6 hours if you take the direct morning train, otherwise 10-11 hours. Scenery isn't anything to really write home about.

You will not find information for next year as the timetables are not out yet

Malev airlines no longer exists - it went bust.

Zagreb to Split takes 6 hours 19 mins if you get the morning train, so you would have to stay overnight in Zagreb, or you can get the night train which takes about 9 hours - much more comfortable.

www.idos.cz will tell you all you need to know about times

Buy all tickets locally from the respective national rail companies - there is no such operator as Eurorail. There is a company called Eurail which is an agency that sells overpriced passes, but you should not use them.

Buses - there is currently one overnight bus a week on Fridays which takes 13 hours, but it will probably not run in May as it is not the tourist season.

http://www.volanbusz.hu/en/search_int.php - but don't try looking for next May or you won't find it. It is much too early :)

Edited: 11 August 2012, 09:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Split

Thank you, so much, Ontario, Canada

8. Re: Budapest to Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 12:15