We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafes near the Boscolo

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Cafes near the Boscolo

Arriving on Sunday at midday. Have the rest of Sunday free as well as all day Friday, leaving Saturday morning. Working the rest of the time. Looking for some nice little cafes nearby that are ok to go to alone for coffee and cake, sandwich etc for lunch. Thinking I will eat in the New York Cafe on the Friday night, as I won't want to be out on my own at night. All other nights will be having dinner with Hungarian colleagues so will get to sample lots of nice places. This will be my first visit.

Any recommendations greatly received.

4 replies to this topic
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Cafes near the Boscolo

Kristaly Culraszda, a great local place nearby; pastries and coffee (and wonderful chestnut puree) but no lunch...another underusing patisserie nearby but with almost no seating, just excellent traditional pastries and savories, Budapest Cukraszda on Brody Sandor utca. There's also a branch of Szamos Cukraszda nearby. And not very far away at all, if looking for a neighborhood lunch restaurant with excellent traditional Hungarian food, Rakoczi Etterem on Rakoczi ter.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Cafes near the Boscolo

Avoid New York cafe...one of the most expensive restaurants in town with subpar food. My wife left her €7 pastry it was so bad. Much better can be found at kristaly for 1/4 the price.

Auguszt is another great one a few bus stops away.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Cafes near the Boscolo

By the way...no reason not to venture out on your own...the city is extremely safe with lots of business travelers. I've eaten and gone out alone on a number of occasions- I've always made friends and never felt awkward being alone.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Cafes near the Boscolo

Thank you. I keep having to remind myself I am mainly going for work!

More than happy to go out for a stroll on my own but not sit in a nice restaurant on my own at night, don't mind during the day.

I have five meals booked in the evening with colleagues so won't miss out.

I now have culinary food tour booked for the Friday. Have done one of these in Rome with my husband which was great and thought it would be nice as will get to chat to other people while walking around.

Will definitely check out the recommendations.

Reply to: Cafes near the Boscolo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted