We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

We are about to book an Airbnb apartment in District 8 near Rákóczi tér subway station for 4 nights in May 2018. I have heard that some parts of district 8 are not safe. Can you please clarify if this is true and what we need to be wary of.

4 replies to this topic
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

You have heard sketchy or aged advice. District 8 is safe, likely a good bit safer than Melbourne on average, though parts are run down and not especially enticing to stay in. The area around Rakoczi ter (which 20 years ago was a red light district) is quite central and in many ways appealing.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

I've stayed steps from the metro station with a young family for the last four years. If you asked me four years ago, I would say to be careful. It was still a bit seedy with lots of homeless people and drunks. All that is cleaned up and you have 5 star hotels which have moved in. This is a few blocks out of the thick of things and you may have issues not speaking hungarian insomeplaces (particularly the market) but people are used to non-natives and figure it out.

The plusses-great transport, the feel of living in the city vs a tourist, great local food options

The minus- the terrace still has some homeless, on the edge of where a tourist would typically stay, rowdy nightlife nearby (but not close enough to affect you in your apartment

And yes, it is safe. My wife and I walk the neighborhood all hours of day and night alone.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

Just tone clear about what chris writes above ... that rowdy nightlife nearby is tourists in the tourist pub areas nearby (across the street) in Districts VII and VI, considered by many to be the most desirable area to stay in in the city. Personally, I'm with Chris and give that neighborhood a wide berth after dark, but not because of safety but just general disgust at how it mars an otherwise beautiful city. But it's not a major intrusion on District VIII.

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?

Thanks everyone for your responses. It puts our mind at ease.

Reply to: Is District 8 a safe area to stay in?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted