We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a tram/bus

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Taking a tram/bus

Hi

Do we pay on the tram or bus, or do we have to buy tickets somewhere else?

16 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Taking a tram/bus

No you must buy tickets at the metro stations or from machines. Riding without a ticket/ trying to purchase while on board-will get you a fine, they will not care that you're a tourist. A search bar and 10 seconds could have answered that for you, though.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Taking a tram/bus

^ make sure the ticket is validated otherwise the fine will still be given

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Taking a tram/bus

How long will you be in Budapest ? this is a relevant question.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Taking a tram/bus

Hi,

We will be there three days, two adults and one child.

How do we validate the ticket?

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Taking a tram/bus

Thank you so much for your answer, it's very sweet of you.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 18:41
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Taking a tram/bus

It is always suggested by those in the know to buy a 72 hour pass, then you don't have to worry about validating tickets. Check the BKK site as I cannot remember if children travel free, but I think not: our childern are now in their 30s, so definitely not.

A 3 day pass costs 4,150 fts, and gives unlimited use of buses, trams and the metro, including the journey from the airport using the 200E bus and the M3 metro: it does NOT cover the 100E bus. Passes can be bought from the machines at the bus stop outside of the arrivals hall, the machines take CCs and have an english language option.

If you prefer to use single tickets:

a journey within the metro system uses 1 ticket, even if you transfer between lines. At most city centre stations it is not possible to enter the escalator without showing a vaidated ticket to the inspector at the top: the validating machines are generally a few yards in front of the inspector. Just occasionally you may be asked to show your ticket/ pass as you exit, but this is rare, you normally just walk out.

You may board trams without validating a ticket: by every door on the tram there are ticket validating machines: on old trams you may have to put your ticket into the slot on top of the machine, then pull the slot towards you - it will punch 3 holes in the ticket. Newer machines simply push the ticket into the slot on the front and you will hear it print the time and date on the ticket.

Buses come in 2 forms: ones where you must board by the front door, others where you may board by any door. If the bus says 'Felszallas az also ajton' on the destination board, that means you must board the bus at the front and show a valid pass or ticket to the driver: there are ticket validation machines on the right as you board. Otherwise get on at any door, the same rules apply as for a tram.

Up to you as to whether you buy a pass, of course it depends on how much you intend to use public transport, but remember it is quite easy to use 3 tickets on one journey, changing from bus to metro to tram.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 21:17
Toronto
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Taking a tram/bus

I got a pass when I was there and did not regret it for a second. I probably didn't save much if anything, but not having to fuss about getting tickets made it worth it. Also handy for when you're tired and only want to go a few blocks, but if you had to pay a separate ticket for that trip you might not take it.

Ballinameen
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Taking a tram/bus

We will be visiting the Christmas markets in December. I am over 65 and read somewhere that I have free travel in Budapest.

Think it said that I only have to show a passport of other ID that will have my picture and age on it.

Can someone please confirm that this is the case please.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
9. Re: Taking a tram/bus

Only if you are EU citizen.

London
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Taking a tram/bus

I am disabled and read that as a EU resident I also do not have to pay how do I get a ticket as I do not want to be fined with no ticket

Reply to: Taking a tram/bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted