We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Driving Permit

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
International Driving Permit

If I hire a car in Hungary do I need an International Driving Permit or will my UK issued/EU driving (photo) licence be sufficient?

Thanks for you help.

3 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Driving Permit

You don't need an IDP to drive in Hungary, you just need your UK licence. And a credit card to hire a car.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Driving Permit

And search the forum for horror stories about hiring before you actually do so.....

Can we ask what you plan to do with the car ? public transport is cheap and plentiful in Hungary, and hiring is not always the best option, especially as the drink/ drive limit is zero.

Edited: 31 October 2017, 03:40
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Driving Permit

Thanks for the advice.

I am driving from Budapest airport to Gyor. I checked the public transports options and there was a minimum of two changes in both directions, frankly I couldn't be bothered with the hassle especially as I would also have luggage in hand etc.Drink drive rules score a 'care factor zero' as I simply don't do that anyway. And it looked far too long a journey for a taxi. So car hire was the only realistic option.

Reply to: International Driving Permit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted