We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

Hi there

We will be driving from Bovec to The Charme Hotel Uhrerhof, Ortisei in The Dolomites in late June this year. Going by google maps it will take us anywhere between 4.5 and 5.5 hours.

We don't necessarily want the fastest route, but are looking for recommendations for a scenic route.

We had considered going quite a bit out of the way, just to see Hallstatt.....but this would make it at least a 7.5 hour plus journey. Would it be worth it in? (Well I have considered it, but my husband hasn't just yet....I might have to convince him)

Looking for opinions and suggestions please?

I guess it's a rather subjective question asking 'is it's worth it', so that's why I've asked for opinions also.

Thanks in advance

4 replies to this topic
Gyor, Hungary
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

Hi,

"We had considered going quite a bit out of the way, just to see Hallstatt.....but this would make it at least a 7.5 hour plus journey. Would it be worth it in?"

No, absolutely not. It's very far in a completely differnet direction.

You can fid your fair share of pretty villages and lakes in South Tyrol.

Scenic route: https://goo.gl/maps/DcDYZbrZLXw

Edited: 14 May 2018, 12:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

Thank you so much, that's fantastic.

My husband loves the huge mountains and valleys......and I love the lakes (hence wanting to visit Hallsatt).

Are there any particular villages that you would recommend to stop at along the way?

Slovenia
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

You can never miss just by avoiding highways, landscape will hardly disappoint in this region, whatever route you take.

Given that you have a car and you love the views, be sure to see Mangart! Just take the turn to 902 in Log pod Mangartom.

You can drive all the way up there and be greeted with stunning views. It's the third highest mountain peak in Slovenia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?

Thanks Blazis, we will be sure to do that.

Reply to: Driving from Bovec to Dolomites....best route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted