We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -

Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -

I've learned a lot about this trip to Slovenia, a country that my wife and I never been to, from reading many of the posts in this Forum. So many of you have great insights!

Here is our itinerary - there is one caveat - our relatives are arriving Piran Aug 16 via a cruise for a day (8:30am-4:00pm) and we would very much like to meet them.

Aug 12, Sun., Arrive Slovenia pick up rental car in either Maribor (around noon) or Ljubljana (around 1:30). Drive to Predjama. Last tour of Castle 7:00pm. Stay at Jama Hotel.

Aug 13, Mon. Tour Postojna Cave at 9:00AM, Leave Postojna at noon, drive to Bled via Gorenja Vas, Skofja Loka, Kropa. Arrive Bled between 5:00-7:00pm (maybe drive to Bohinj this afternoon?)

Aug 14. Tue. Bled, Vintgar Gorge

Aug 15 Wed. Leave Bled very early, 6:00AM. Drive to Kranska Gora, Vrsic Pass, Soca, Bovec, Kobarid. Allow for time to take in all of the views. Arrive Trieste - around 2-3pm. Spend night in Tireste.

Aug 16. Drive to Piran, meet relatives. Leave Piran after lunch. Drive to LJ, drop off car. Spend late afternoon, evening in LJ

Aug 17 LJ

Aug 18 LJ - depart for airport around noon to 3:00pm flight to Paris

- Aggressive? Can I pack more in?

- When in Piran - should we leave (we will have rental car)...does Piran get too crowded when cruise ship arrives?

Thanks for any guidance

Mentioned in this post
Piran
Piran
Slovenian Istria, Slovenia
Maribor
Maribor
Styria Region, Slovenia
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Hotel Jama
Hotel Jama
220 Reviews
Postojna, Slovenia
Postojna
Postojna
Inner Carniola Region, Slovenia
Skofja Loka
Skofja Loka
Bled
Bled
Soca
Soca
Slovenian Littoral Region, Slovenia
Bovec
Bovec
Kobarid
Kobarid
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
3 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -

"Aug 15 Wed. Leave Bled very early, 6:00AM. Drive to Kranska Gora, Vrsic Pass, Soca, Bovec, Kobarid. Allow for time to take in all of the views. Arrive Trieste - around 2-3pm. Spend night in Tireste."

I don't see how your plan to arrive in Trieste by 3PM on August 15 is realistic at all and "Allow for time to take in all of the views," unless by that you mean to slow down but not get out of the car. I have not been to Slovenia in August, but I understand these roads can be busy at the peak of summer tourist season. I would allow more time, take it easy, enjoy it.

August 13 looks a bit unrealistic too for the same reason - you are trying to do some scenic drives but rush through them. I wouldn't try to do both: either give yourself the time to enjoy the scenery - or just skip it and take the fastest route instead.

Even without traffic, I have always found that these things take much more time than I expect.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 01:39
Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Soca
Soca
Bovec
Bovec
Kobarid
Kobarid
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
Boston...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -

Thanks Andrew -

I don't know what else to do - certainly, there is that possibility/probability that I will arrive later than I anticipate to Bled (on 8/13) and to Trieste (8/15).I've tried to include those things that seem important to see, what would you suggest I eliminate?

I wasn't sure if the castle/cave is "worth" the visit; they seem very "touristy", almost kitschy.

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -

On the way to Piran check Brda wine region as well (https:/…).

Mentioned in this post
Piran
Piran
Slovenian Istria, Slovenia
Reply to: August Slovenia Itinerary - Comments Please -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted