We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for the first time

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting for the first time

Hello There,

I am looking to visit Slovenia in September for the first time.

Would be landing in Ljubljana and would be looking to spend about 5-6 days on this trip.

Questions:

Is it easy to get to Trieste? Is there a train or bus? Where can a ticket be purchased from?

What places can be visited on the train?

What places would you recommend we see?

Someone recommended Piran but i don't seem to be able to locate a train to get there.

How easy is it to hire a car? What are the roads like?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
Piran
Piran
Slovenian Istria, Slovenia
2 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting for the first time

Renting a car is as easy as in any other European country or UK. Roads are fine. Train is not the best option to reach either Piran or Trieste. Bled, Bohinj, Bovec, Kranjska Gora, Kamnik, Škofja Loka, Celje, Ptuj, Maribor to name just a few towns worth visiting (and their surrounding areas, of course).

Mentioned in this post
Piran
Piran
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
Bled
Bled
Bovec
Bovec
Slovenian Littoral Region, Slovenia
Kranjska Gora
Kranjska Gora
Kamnik
Kamnik
Carinthia Region, Slovenia
Celje
Celje
Styria Region, Slovenia
Ptuj
Ptuj
Styria Region, Slovenia
Maribor
Maribor
Styria Region, Slovenia
Slovenia
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting for the first time

If you want to get the most out of your trip, i highly recommend you to rent a car. Maybe just for a few days, to see all the attractions around slovenia, then you can settle in capital(ljubljana) for the last portion of your trip to relax and explore the city.

Thing about Slovenia is that it is very diverse and bus/train connections are not always reliable or frequent enough. If you're just into main attractions(Piran, Postojna Cave, Bled, Ljubljana), public transport is sufficient. If you want to get on the country side and see a lot more of the beautiful landscape and nature, I'd highly suggest you renting a car(Trenta valley, Goriška Brda, Škocjan Caves, Izola), especially if you are not alone.

Most places in general are accessible by public transport, it will just take you a lot more time and effort to see them. Let me know if this helped, I'll happily suggest you more in detail if you're interested about what to see.

Mentioned in this post
Piran
Piran
Postojna
Postojna
Inner Carniola Region, Slovenia
Bled
Bled
Ljubljana
Ljubljana