We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lot Polish Airlines

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
82 reviews
Lot Polish Airlines

We're looking at Lot Polish Airlines for a flight and don't know anything about them. Has anyone flown and them recently and can give me a review? What kind of reputation do they have?

USA/Polska
Level Contributor
495 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

I fly them always to Poland. I have no complaints except for their audio system music choices which are horrible. I like that they have direct flights and I know that their pilots have won many awards. They certainly are not up to Swiss or Singapore Air standards, but I trust them. I feel they take their jobs seriously.

Poland
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
137 reviews
2. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

It's the Polish national carrier and a member of Star Alliance so really reliable and quite good. The planes right now are a bit dated but still safe - we are waiting for brand-new Dreamliners which are already bought but still in the production. You shouldn't worry at all.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 21:07
Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

What about movies? The flight would be to the US, so I assume there would be English movies, but I'm wondering if they have individual seat back screens. Or does the whole plane have to watch just a couple movies on a screen in the center like on American? And how is the food?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

Not a helpful website! The only pic I could find showed no seat backs TVs, but did give the TV schedule for business and economy classes lot.com/gb/…movies-and-music-on-the-board

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

There are no private screens in Economy, only screens above the seats every 10 rows or so. If this is important to you, take another airline.

The new Boeings will be in operation from January next year (first delivery in November, first regular flights to Chicago in January, to NYC in February).

LOT is very good on short- haul flights but definitely not my airline of choice for transantlantic routes.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

LOT is in the process of renewing its fleet. Already now, most of its short and mid-haul fleet is quite new Embraer E-Jets which are very comfy to travel on. With regard to domestic flights, the old and used ATR planes are being successively replaced by brand new Bombardier Dash 8, already now they operate on most routes where turbo props are used. So, the only issue left is the long-haul fleet which consists currently of 4x Boeing 767-300 + one leased from Aerosvit on an ad-hoc basis. These planes are quite dated, in desperate need of replacement. They are due to be replaced with the new Boeing 787 planes by March 2013, with first delivery expected around 15 November and first flight in mid Jan 2013 to ORD.

LOT was given a 3-star rating by Skytrax, on par with airlines such as KLM, American Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Continental, Delta, Iberia, United or SAS.

Complete rating: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/LO.htm

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

Well, LOT offers good and very giod service on medium haul flights. I would say they even offer better service on european routes than air france, lufthansa, british airways not mentioning brussels airlines etc.

Their Boeings 767 used for US flights are dated and offer similar service to US carriers. No personal entertainment is the main problem. They are waiting for the delayed dreamliner and do not upgrade this fleet.

panama city beach...
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

We are booked on Lot from Warsaw to Krakow. We will be on a ATR commuter prop plane. According to their website, we are allowed only 1 carry on bag weighing 8kg or less. Do they actually weigh your hand luggage? We usually carry one bag with us during our travels that contains all of our electronic devices and while it is a small bag, will almost certainly weigh more than 8kg.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
887 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

twonpcb, this is a standard among European airlines that they allow one carry on bag between 6 to 10 kg in economy class. Keep in mind that laptops and laptop bags are excluded from that in LOT, so they do not count toward the piece/weight limits. You may also consider splitting your hand luggage into 2 bags for the time of the flight (I assume there are at least 2 of you flying?). Whereas LOT seldom checks the weight of your hand luggage, it may sometimes happen at check-in, and even more so, it may still happen that you'll need to deliver your luggage at aircraft - your luggage will be put into the hold for the time of the flight because the turboprops are pretty small and there is not always enough space on board. So, if you definitely don't want your electronics to get damaged in hold, I'd advice you keep it as small as possible on ATR flights so that in case you can fit it under the seat in front of you and should the flight attendants want your bag to be put on hold, insist that it can easily fit under the seat and that you have electronics inside which can easily get damaged in the hold. The way they chose which hand luggage goes into the hold is pretty random but my feeling is that they chose rigid bags over soft ones, not to damage whatever there is inside.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
338 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Lot Polish Airlines

I have never ever experienced LOT weighing my hand luggage. There is no way they physically can do it, unless you do your check-in at the counter at the airport. TO avoid airport check in - check in online, by phone or at the automatic check-in kiosk - you can drop off your luggage at the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Warsaw