We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

Hi-

My husband and I have studied the Holocaust for the past few years, and for the first time in July, I'll have a chance to meet up with him on a business trip to Warsaw. It will be a short trip and we'll pack in some touring of Warsaw (the old city, the ghetto, etc. on one day,,,any other "must sees"? we are open to all suggestions!).

But...on our one remaining full free day, we would like to do either a day trip to Auschswitz-Birkenau (the tour company we are looking at adds the option for seeing some of Krakow at the end of that trip) or a day trip to Treblinka. I know both camps will be poignant and well worth seeing but we only have time to do one of these trips. I think we are leaning toward the Auschwitz trip because so much of the camp is still intact and I think we would get a better sense of how life there must have felt. It's a very long day, though, roundtrip out of Warsaw, but that's OK.

I would be very interested to see Treblinka, as this is where the Polish Jews from the ghettos were largely sent to be exterminated. It is also closer to Warsaw. However, my understanding is that the Nazis destroyed the original buildings at Treblinka so what is left today s a somber memorial of the horrific things that took place there.

Can anyone chime in with thoughts that might help me make the decision between these two tours?

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
32 reviews
11. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

auschewitz is a very long distance from warsaw.....a bit more realistic is majdanek just outside of Lublin....usually a few hours by train....but its summertime and I suspect they are doing upgrades on the line so it may take a bit longer

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
77 reviews
12. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

Majdanek is more less as far away from Warsaw as Auschwitz, due to the upgrades under way of BOTH the railway and the road.

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

Hi, all! Your comments in this thread have been SO helpful, thank you!! We are scheduling our tour of Auschwitz for Sat. 7/15 and--as someone here mentioned--they are working on the rail lines during this time, meaning travel between Warsaw and Krakow will be more like 3 hrs 40 min vs. 2 1/2 hrs. For this reason, the tour company is asking if we want to just tour Auschwitz or do we want to go ahead and see both Auschwitz and Birkenau...which would cause us to get back to Warsaw much later at night.

My question: how much will we miss by not seeing Birkenau, just seeing Auschwitz only? I think we would probably regret not seeing both camps if we are going to take this day trip. Can anyone chime in on this?

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
73 posts
185 reviews
14. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

My two cents' worth is that if you're going to the trouble of going from Warsaw all the way to Auschwitz anyway, it would be really silly not to go to Birkenau too. They are different sites with different things to see (and located only 3km from each other) and seeing just one of them is like looking at half a picture. From what you wrote it does seem you'd regret not going to both. Just be prepared for a very long day! Take snacks/sandwiches, water, anything else you'd need, etc. At least you're not driving, so you can relax on the way there and back.

Dallas
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

@MiriamD...thank you! OK, YES, we will absolutely see Birkenau as well, your reply was very confirming of that, thank you so much!

16. Re: Treblinka or Auschwitz-Birkenau, from Warsaw?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2018, 14:16