We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.) and I am wondering if I can leave the airport and go to city for the day? Would I need a visa?

dallas tx.
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

easily done and no

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

Thank you. I will be traveling with a 14 yrs. old child and I want to make the trip as easy as possible. So, I am also wondering if the airport is easy to navigate. How easy it is to locate a bus that goes into the city center?

Lublin, Poland
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
3. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

It's really easy to navigate. There are colored lines marked on the floor of the arrival area l leading to bus stop, train station etc. You may also use a train that departs right from the airport to get to the city center next to Culture and Science Palace.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

Thank you. And I have one more question. What should I aim to see in the city for my limited time there? Are there any parts of the city that are a MUST SEE? I am not huge on museums and usually enjoy walking around.

Vildbjerg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

Warszawa City Guide: www.warszawaguide.info/MainPageEng/index.htm

Go by train for Warszawa Centralna (close to Palace of Culture and Science) from Warszawa Lotnisko Chopina (Warsaw Chopin Airport).

http://www.ztm.waw.pl/?c=126&l=2

The distance by foot to Stare Miasto (Warsaw Old Town) from Warszawa Centralna is 2,9 km according to Google Maps.

1 post
6. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

You can get a city bus (175) from the airport right into the city centre. Its about a half hour ride and takes you really close to the Stare Miasto (Old Town) If you get off at the Bristol hotel, its about a 5 -10 minute walk to the Old Town Square. There is a huge amount to see, but I would highly recommend the Old Town, and the nearby New Town (18th century). The museums are wonderful, especially the Warsaw Uprising museum and the Museum of the History of Polish Jews, but its a great place just to wander, have a meal and chill.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
19 posts
150 reviews
7. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

I agree with Anna, take the 175 bus. There is a ticket machine at the airport bus stop which will sell you a 24 hr ticket, and it has an english option :) Public transport runs pretty much to the minute in Warsaw. When I was living there, I always used the bus, although I know the train does go there. Good thing with the bus is you see the city as local.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

I would like to visit the observation deck that looks on the city at the Palace of Culture & Science. Any idea how much does it cost? Is there a discount for 14 yrs old?

Israel
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
586 reviews
9. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

#8- you asked this on a different post. The answer is the same.

Warsaw, Poland
4 posts
1 review
10. Re: I have a long layover in Warsaw (17 hrs.)

Whether you need a visa or not depends on your citizenship...

And as regards Warsaw - buy a 24-hrs ticket and explore. There is a tourist information office at the arrivals level of the airport and you can get there some useful materials (city maps etc.).

One thing: better take the money from the ATM (for almost everything you can also pay with a card), as the exchange office at the airport has pretty bad rates.

Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Warsaw