We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow travel for 3 days

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow travel for 3 days

Dzień dobry

We arrive in Krakow this Friday afternoon around 1pm and leave the following morning around 10am.

We are two adults, fairly fit with two small cases. We are staying at Alexander 2 Hotel, Ul. Zamenhofa 14, Krakow.

We prefer public transport and walking. The furthest place we'll visit is the Salt Mines.

Two questions please:

1. What transport do we use from the airport? Is the train running?

2. What tickets should we buy to cover us from Friday to Monday?

Sooo excited :)

Dziękuję

Edited: 14 May 2018, 10:49
Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Alexander Hotel
Alexander Hotel
685 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
5 replies to this topic
Lidingo, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Silesia Province
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
908 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow travel for 3 days

1. The train is running, but only once an hour, if it doesn't suit your arrival time, then there are buses and of course taxis.

2. Here you can choose your ticket: …krakow.pl/pl/…

I'd say 72h for the city of Kraków and then buy separate tickets for Wieliczka and the airport.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow travel for 3 days

A 72 hr ticket when they are only in town for 21 hrs, really?

Just pay as you go, no need to use public tpt apart from to the mine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow travel for 3 days

Thank you Phil and Johndoe.

Apologies, my mistake. We arrive Friday and leave Monday. I made an error in the original post.

Apart from the Salt Mines, all the other places that we'll visit are pretty central.

So a single ticket from the airport to and from the centre and a return to the Salt Mines?

I have also read about the ticket inspectors who penalise you for not validating your ticket. Are the places to validate the tickets pretty obvious?

Thank you

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
2,042 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow travel for 3 days

I was confused as well, so it appear you have about 2.5 days. I am surprised you have gone for the Mines as opposed to Auschwitz and Birkenhau!!

Whatever you decide - you will have about 1.5 days left to explore, I suggest you head to the square on your arrival afternoon and take in the atmosphere - its lovely. The other day walk down to the Jewish Quarter and even Wawel Castle, and take a walk along the river.

You have choices on Airport transfer, I think its best to get a Taxi 69 or 89zloty - at least you will get to hotel quickly and get your bearings. You can then consider mode of transport back.

You don't need to buy travel tickets in advance, you say you like walking and the City is not that large and you can easily walk to the major places and districts within 30 minutes. If you decide to get a tram buy ticket at stop - by card is easy. The tickets are by time, 20minutes etc, so the basic ticket will get you to most places, but just make sure if you go over TIME you buy another ticket. Tickets must be validated when you board. It sound complicated but really it is simple.

Your Hotel is close to main square so everything should be walkable.

Mentioned in this post
Wawel Hotel
Wawel Hotel
797 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow travel for 3 days

Thank you Howlo for your detailed and very informative reply. A couple of years ago, we went to Dachau in Bavaria and came out in tears. I do appreciate the scale and historic value of Auschwitz but we both decided against it. We have tickets for the Schindlers museum and Wawel castle which should be just about enough culture. Depending on what time we get there on Friday, we planned to do a walking tour at 3pm. Thank you for clarifying about the tickets. Three days to go :)

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Wawel Hotel
Wawel Hotel
797 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Reply to: Krakow travel for 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted