We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

I am reposting this because my first version wasn't very clear.

We are already planning to visit the Museum of World War II in Gdansk and to visit Auschwitz. We only have time to visit one more museum--either the Oskar Schindler Museum or the Galicia Jewish Museum. For ONLY the people who have visited both museums, which do you think is better and would better complement the other two sites that we are visiting? Thank you for your help.

5 replies to this topic
Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

It depends on what you're interested in - the Museum in the Schindler Factory is a branch of the National Museum and has a much bigger and more comprehensive collection and exhibit of life in Krakow during WW2 (with a small exhibit dedicated to Schindler). The Galicia Museum is also fantastic but much smaller, and focuses mostly on the Jewish life in Galicia before WW2.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

Schindlers is very good but very busy, so that may be something to consider - depending on time, If you want something different, from the other side maybe consider the Gestapo Museum in Krakow as well.

http://www.mhk.pl/branches/pomorska-street

Edited: 14 May 2018, 05:53
East Lothian, UK
Level Contributor
275 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

The Galicia museum is, compared with the Schindler factory, very peaceful. It is a bit easier to reflect on what you are seeing there. However, both places are fascinating. I think I'd wait to see how you feel. If you have plenty of energy, you might prefer Schindler, if you are feeling a bit jaded, the Galicia museum followed by one of the many nearby cafés, bars and restaurants might be a better fit.

Do remember that one museum (Schindler) is primarily about the city during the war whilst the other (Galicia) covers the impact on the wider region of events before, during and after the war. Also, the Galicia museum's exhibits are primarily photographs whilst at Schindler there is a more varied collection.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

Ww11 museum in Gdansk is fantastic so after that you'll be comparing. But remember in Krakow and in particular Kazimierz you'll experience life from the Jewish prospective. There are other things to see in Kazimierz like Ghetto Heroes Square and the places where Schindlers list was filmed. All worth seeing.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
101 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum

I've been to the Schindler museum and to the new WWII museum in Gdansk.Might I recommend the Museum of the Polish Home Army (AK) near Krakow Glowny? It is new and will give you an interesting perspective on how the Polish underground functioned.

Reply to: Oskar Schindler Museum or Galicia Jewish Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted