We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

Hello I will be travelling to Krakow in June 2018. I will have my own car and wish to visit the salt mines, Auschwitz and Zakopane for day trips. For each day trip, I wish to do it as independently and inexpensive as possible. I have questions for each:

Auschwitz: How long is the drive from Kazimierez? Is there parking at Auschwitz and how much? Where do I buy tickets online for a non-guided tour? how much for a personal tour book? What time do you recommend arriving?

Salt Mines: How long is the drive from Kazimierez? Is there parking and how much? Where do I buy tickets online for a non-guided tour? how much for a guided tour? What time do you recommend arriving?

Zakopane: How long of a drive from Kazimieriez? Where to park and how much is it? We wish to hike up a mountainous view or gondola - what do you recommend with prices?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Zakopane
Zakopane
6 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

Auschwitz - the drive is around 90 minutes. There is a large car park at Auschwitz I and II (Birkenau). It's paying, I don't know the tariff but it's not much. For tickets and free entry pass (for unguided visit), check out https://visit.auschwitz.org/?lang=en. Guided tour is 50 zloty. If you have all day, you can arrive at any time (but allow around 3-4 hours to see both), but unguided entry is up to 10 am and after 4 pm for Auschwitz I, for which you need entry pass.

Salt Mine - the drive is about 20 min, depending on traffic. Big parking at the mine and free (IIRC). Usually no need to buy in advance, as there is English tour every 30 min (every visit is guided). You can book online at https://www.ebilety.kopalnia.pl/index.php… In June it's 89 zloty. It's open all day so you can visit at any time during the day.

Let someone else answer Zakopane queries.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 06:54
Mentioned in this post
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
12,300 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
Wieliczka Salt Mine
Wieliczka Salt Mine
10,925 Reviews
Wieliczka, Poland
dallas tx.
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

the cheapest way to do it all is without a car....having a car is the most expensive by far.....all these places are well served by public ,inexpensive transportation....parking,driving in these areas can be a big headache also

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

For the Salt Mines you can only go on a guided tour, and you can buy when you get there.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 14:00
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

Don't know about Wieliczka and Auschwitz, but for Zakopane, remember to drive very early (consider hours like 5 [!] or 6 am). When the weather is sunny and it's weekend day, there are frequent traffic jams. And frequent accidents which only worsen the jams.

I'll also second what has been said above - consider using public transport as all three places you want to visit are major tourist attractions and there are no problems getting there by bus.

For Auschwitz and Wieliczka consider taking organized tours. They're not overpriced - around 30 euro and I say it as the one who hates organized tours to the point of calling these companies scammers. But this is really not much for a guided tour with transport.

As for Auschwitz, I don't know if I remember this clearly, but if you want to embark on an individual visit during the summer season you can't just drive there and enter, because of the crowds. There was some sort of registration system, so you could book your visit in advance. But as I said I am not sure, so let someone better informed speak.

Mentioned in this post
Zakopane
Zakopane
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

We arrived in Zakopane yesterday . We hired a driver to bring us here straight from Krakow airport. Our trip was just over 2 hours. Our bus ride tomorrow says it will take 2.25 hours back to Krakow

Shame to only do a day trip. Worth an overnight, in our opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Zakopane
Zakopane
Krakow
Krakow
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone

Also, for Auschwitz look to book your entrance and tour online at the official site now - they sell out well in advance. You can also go for 8:00 am and likely get passes, if you have t booked.

https://visit.auschwitz.org/?lang=en

Reply to: DIY from Krakow to Auschwitz, Salt Mines and Zakopone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Krakow