We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brookfield...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Hi, We begin our trip in Prague for 4 nights,

to Cesky Krumlov for one night,

on to Krakow for 4 nights.

What mode ot transportation should we use for this itinerary? We were thinking of car rental and driving to Cesky and then to Krakow with stops along the way, then returning car to Prague. From Prague or Krakow we want to fly to Bucharest, Romania? Is this crazy? Should we take bus to Cesky and train to Krakow?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

If you feel that you are up to it, then by all means drive - just note that driving in both Prague and Krakow is not to be recommended for a first-timer, also driving in Poland can be a bit of a white-knuckle ride. Note that driving from CK to Krakow will take you the best part of a day - give it at least 9-10 hours, taking into account refreshment/comfort breaks/getting lost/stopped by police, etc :) Your route will take you through Brno and Olomouc, both of which are fantastic cities, but not recommended with a car. After that there isn't a lot to recommend as you will pass through one of the most heavily industrialised regions of Europe - some may like it - I find that Ostrava has a certain charm all of its own, but it isn't everybody's cup of tea (think Detroit).

You would then have to drop the car back off again in Prague in order to avoid prohibitive drop-off fees.

Also not all rental agencies will let you take a car into Poland due to the high incidence of car theft/accidents there, so best to ask first.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,874 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Avis allows at extra 15 euros a day for insurance.

Brookfield...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Thank you for your advice. I think we will do day trip to Cesky Krumlov either by rental car or by bus. Back to Prague and then by train to Krakow. I see we should purchase train tickets in Prague as they are less expensive.

How much does it cost to take bus and subway from Prague to airport? and how long will it take? I read that airport shuttle is also good option at around 44 american dollars. Is that per person or for 4?

I am so grateful for this forum, it has been very helpful.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,874 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Metro or tram plus airport bus - 32 crowns which is about 1.5 USD, how long will it take - depends where from but roughly not more than 1 hour.

Airport shuttle which has been recommended many times on the forum costs 550 crowns for up to 4 people - circa 32USD(i.e. for a car load not per person)

Edited: 04 August 2011, 05:56
California
Level Contributor
90 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

We just drove in Czech, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and found the roads in better condition than our crappy freeways in LA. Smooth as silk. An occasional few filled in pot holes on smaller roads. NO white knuckle roads or drivers- GCEK should drive in Cinque Terrre area of Italy if they want white knuckle driving. (7' wide road falling off 1000' with lots of corners and no guard rails AND supposed to be a two way road)

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

I am in Prague for a week mid Sept and was looking at side trips to both Cesky Krumlov and Krakow. Looks as if Bus to Cesky is the best for a full day trip or overnight.

I will do some more searching but can Krakow be done in a full day by bus and or train?

I am renting a car from Rome and driving to Paris and doing Cinque Terre with a night in one of the towns and 10 days in between so should be a fun ride. I had a car in the UK for 2 weeks and I have to say that the roads driving around the Isle of Skye, the Lochs of Scotland and the country roads of S. Eastern UK were crazy as well with much of it being 2 way traffic on single lane roads. Cinque Terre sounds like fun.

Thanks

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,874 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

so your only question is whether Krakow can be done as a day trip from Prague? I'd say definitely no.......otherwise would be crazy, you'd see nothing

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

Thanks Tilly41:

I just got into Prague tonight as I have been without internet for the last 5 days, and noticed your response. I will either pass on Krakow this trip or make a few day trip. Kind of doubt the side trip as it looks like more than enough to fill the 7 days here.

As a side note I took the bus from the airport and connected with the green line to the museum stop and walked to hotel. Quite simple and for less than 6 US dollars. Great advice from you all on the fourm.

9. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2011, 04:35
leeds
Level Contributor
105 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car, bus or train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, to Krakow?

I agree with poster 5 - i've found the roads in Czech republic and Poland to be in generally good condition and driving standards to be comparable with most other European countries. This site may help with car rental info and driving advice -

www.driverabroad.com