We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange search result

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Strange search result

Hi all,

I don't know how to contact the "powers that be" but there is an issue with a weird search result and link on Trip Advisor for Digby NS.

I was searching a particular restaurant in Digby (and did eventually find it), but when one clicks on the "restaurants in Digby" link on TA, you get results centred on Dartmouth NS (telling you things like a restaurant in Indian Harbour or Halifax being x miles away), which is of course 200 km from Digby itself.

The link I followed was

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g1549…

which should show restaurants in SW NS - not Dartmouth/Halifax, yes?

Thanks,

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Halifax Region, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
10 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange search result

I note clicking on the image (of Digby) that appears below my initial question links to the incorrect geography I was talking about...

Edited: 12 May 2018, 22:52
Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange search result

Trip Advisor is a business and they are certainly not above sending links where they want to as needed to maximize their profits. For anything related to geographical location or proximity, Google Maps is in the business of giving accurate information.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,869 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange search result

If you scroll a bit down the page you will see a box where it says you can limit your search to Digby in tiny blue print.

This is annoying and when I have time I will try to report this.

Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange search result

This issue about listing businesses a long way from where you want to find something has been reported (twice) in Support. The following thread pertains to hotels, but doesn’t matter if hotels or restos. You will see that TA Staff have responded and forwarded the concern to the people who handle listing page information, or mis-information. See also, an earlier discussion linked in post 3 which listings apparently got cleaned up, but much later.

Link: https:/…91645700

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange search result

MaryannNS - Yes - that is true. But, if you click on that tiny blue box - you still get listings in Halifax/Dartmouth. It seems someone reviewed something and linked it to Metro instead of Digby 2.5 hours south!

Thanks,

Bill

ps - yes, I see that for example in Alberta they've got listings way off, but should they not be notified somehow when there is an error of almost 300 km?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Halifax Region, Canada
Digby
Digby
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange search result

<<should they not be notified somehow when there is an error of almost 300 km?>>

If that is referring to post 4, the whole situation is described in the link in post 4 and the further link in post 3 of the thread that is opened.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange search result

The link in post 4 links to a discussion about an accommodation being off by 50 or 60 km.

I am describing something that is off by 300 km.

Further - there is no proposed solution in the linked discussion.

What you are telling me is - there is nothing that can be done.

That just seems strange, as I said. It is ONLY the restaurant listings that have this error. Try clicking the link for yourself and see what restaurants are listed - they are ALL centered on Halifax, not Digby.

I hope someone can help sort this out as otherwise the listings become far less useful.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 20:43
Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,395 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange search result

Bill,

Yes, at post #5 I mentioned that "the Edmonton hotels now removed, and additions made for a stack of properties in Glacier National Park, Montana, about 50 to 80 km" which relates to my original post here where I reported Edmonton hotels 567 km away from Waterton.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-…

Edited: 13 May 2018, 21:02
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange search result

Super -

So let's hope the same thing occurs for the Digby/Halifax mix-up.

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,395 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strange search result

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. You can see the time line I experienced.

Reply to: Strange search result
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southwest Nova Scotia