We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Harry Potter World

Belfast, United...
7 posts
London - Harry Potter World

Hi, I'm thinking of taking my son to Harry Potter World July/August 18. Travelling from Belfast and staying 2 nights in London. What would be the best airport to fly into? I believe I can get a train or bus from Watford Station to the Studios? As for accommodation best to stay in central London - if it's just him and I probably a cheap enough b&b etc. Any advice appreciated. Many thanks.

15 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
25,044 posts
52 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: London - Harry Potter World

Only "thinking" for July/August? Get Harry Potter Studio tickets NOW or they will be all sold out!

"Best" airport to fly into would really depend on where you want to stay and what else you will be doing with your time whilst over here. If you are staying in/around Watford Luton is probably best, if you are staying in London it probably doesn't matter which airport you fly into.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: London - Harry Potter World

There is a bus only for taking you to harry potter studio from watford station for two pounds each person,bus services run at regular intervals

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
509 reviews
196 helpful votes
3. Re: London - Harry Potter World

The shuttle bus between Watford Junction and the studios costs £2.50 return (or £2 single for those who need it - leftovers from tour buses perhaps) Note that the shuttle only takes cash - no cards

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
17 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: London - Harry Potter World

And do note also that the station it leaves from is Watford JUNCTION, not Watford. They are different.

Belfast, United...
7 posts
5. Re: London - Harry Potter World

Thanks for the replies folks. I've booked for 20 Aug and we are going to do it in one day. Flying into Stansted at 8.30am and back out of Stansted at 9.45pm.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
17 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: London - Harry Potter World

So... Stansted Express train to Tottenham Hale, change there to Victoria Line southbound to Euston and, from Euston take a fast West Midlands train to Watford Junction. The final destination will be somewhere like Milton Keynes or Northampton. Avoid the London Overground stopping service from Euston which has Watford Junction as its final destination. Off-peak day returns (valid on the 0915 and subsequent departures from Stansted) for the whole journey to Watford Junction can be bought at Stansted; there's no advantage buying in advance. The adult fare is £36.30. The trip takes about an hour and a half each way. Times and all details are available on nationalrail.co.uk. Apologies if you've researched all this already but visitors can be surprised by the length of the journey, the routing via London and the cost. Neither Stansted nor Watford Junction is particularly near London. Stansted is north-east and Watford is north-west. But it's much quicker to go through London than try to go cross-country unless you're prepared to hire a self-drive car or book a taxi. The journey is possible by bus but you have to change and it takes getting on for 4 hours each way.

Belfast, United...
7 posts
7. Re: London - Harry Potter World

This is superb papluviose !! Thanks for taking the time to map it out in such detail. I presume that if I get the £36.30 ticket at Stansted (and a child's fare also - Conor is 11) which covers the whole journey I could spend an hour or so in central London en route (M & M World etc. - he's been twice but he'd love to go again!!) before carrying the journey on to Watford Junction with the same tickets?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
83 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: London - Harry Potter World

You can stop off in London, but the train tickets will nly be valid on the tube between Liverpool Street and Euston, if you want to visit somewhere else you will need to buy a tube ticket, or use a contactless card. It might be possible to pay a bit more to have a one day travelcard but I can't work out how to do it o

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
17 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: London - Harry Potter World

The tube ticket portion of the Stansted-Watford Junction fare is valid for a single journey into Zone 1 and a single journey out again to Tottenham Hale in Zone 3 (or you can go via Liverpool Street). But if you break journey by exiting the tube anywhere other than the stations where you connect with National Rail, you'll need to buy another Underground ticket or use Oyster/Contactless etc to continue the journey. So you could use the Stansted-Watford Junction tickets to go Stansted-Tottenham Hale-Leicester Square (for M&M World). But you'd then need to pay for a single Zone 1 ticket from Leicester Square to Euston (£4.90 cash or £2.40 Oyster/Contactless). Breaking the journey adds a complication where your 11-year-old is concerned. There's a half-fare available on the Stansted-Watford Junction through ticket. But to get a half fare on a single journey within Zone 1, he'd need an Oyster card with a Young Visitor discount programmed into it (honestly, I'd say, in your circumstances not worth the bother of paying the deposit, loading credit and getting a refund at the end but you can find details on tfl.gov.uk if you want to research it).

Belfast, United...
7 posts
10. Re: London - Harry Potter World

railenthusiast and papluviose - again thanks for taking the time to explain so meticulously. More than happy to pay the Zone 1 ticket from Leicester Square to Euston to get back on track to Watford Junction. My main concern was having time to nip into M & M World but it sounds more than feasible. He'll be delighted (it's a surprise birthday present). Cheers :-)

Reply to: London - Harry Potter World
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted