We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive into the desert

india
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Drive into the desert

Hi,

We would like to do a very low key ride into the desert which basically comprises of driving out into the desert - seeing the sunrise/ sunset - then driving back into the city. We are not really interested in any other activity (no dune buggy etc)/food/entertainment. I am not sure if there is any tour/agent that does this since all the tours I came across had activities mentioned in addition to the above. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Kanpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive into the desert

Going in the desert will need a 4x4 and a desert driving license. Only a friend or someone you know might do it for you.

Taxi usually cant go in the desert and neither the drivers have the license to drive in the desert.

Some tours are really cheap. In the likes of 70 dirhams. You can take them and enjoy the sunset.

dubai
Level Contributor
301 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive into the desert

Desert driving licence???????????

Kanpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive into the desert

Sorry. I should have been more specific. Its usually a certificate. Someone with experience in off roading or having a certificate for off road can only drive.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive into the desert

I’m sorry, too, Nitin but that’s wrong as well. We have plenty of friends who ‘off road’ in both the UAE and Oman and none of them has a ‘certificate’ allowing them to do so. There are a couple of companies who provide off-road driving courses and participants get a certificate if they complete the course ... perhaps this is what you mean?

Edited: 08 March 2018, 17:29
Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Kanpur
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive into the desert

I was talking about a personal experience. I went on to drive in the desert without any prior experience and got my Santafe stuck in desert.

I called the police for help. The rescue team came up and helped my car out of the sand.

But they also asked me if I have the license/ certificate for driving in the desert. I took the course and certificate after that.

I was always under the impression its a mandatory requirement after that incident. I even pushed my friends to get it before going on off road trips.

Now I think I might have been over-reacting all this time.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive into the desert

I’m glad to hear that your desert experience had a happy conclusion. Our friends are long-term UAE and Oman residents and have acquired a great deal of experience, some of them competing in the Desert Challenge. However they always travel with at least three 4x4 vehicles and all the necessary safety equipment (sand ladders, shovels, water, spare phone batteries, first aid kits, ropes etc), tell someone at home where they are planning on going and at what time they should be expected to return.

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive into the desert

No need for licence or certificate to drive in desert. The only thing you need is the EXPERIENCE.

I almost spend my weekends in the desert and some times crosing from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain without licence or certificate. You should know very well how to handle your car, the directions and where is the exit points. So many underestimate driving in desert.

traveltrawl,, You are right. most of Safari companies have other activities.

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Al Ain
Al Ain
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
india
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive into the desert

Thanks to all who responded but we would not like to self drive. I was rather wondering if we could hire a landcruiser with driver which we could use for the desert drive or if their was a tour available which allowed people to just simply go enjoy sunset/sunrise and return?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive into the desert

The guy I use to organise my desert safaris does this type of thing. I will send you details later.

You don’t need an off road licence to take your own car into the sand but if you are taking people into the desert to go to a camp you need one, insurance, roll cage etc etc if the camp is in the Emirate of Dubai. I think they are a little more lax elsewhere.

I would do a camel farm visit, sunset drive and then come back into the city - perhaps get dropped off at Dubai Mall for the Fountain show.

Mentioned in this post
Emirate of Dubai
Emirate of Dubai
United Arab Emirates
The Dubai Mall
The Dubai Mall
24,303 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
india
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive into the desert

Dear Sean R,

Thank you for the information. It would be great if you could send the person's details across.

Reply to: Drive into the desert
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted