We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

Assalamualaikum,

My wife and I have made the intention and booked to perform our Hajj this year InShaAllah. However, earlier this week we were given some great news about a potential new addition to our small family.

My question is, are there any sisters who have performed Hajj whilst Pregnant who can provide some insight into how difficult it would be for my expecting wife? If so, can you go into some detail about necessary precautions and considerations to take into account before embarking on Hajj itself.

We're unsure how far along she is but under the impression that if 7 months, most airlines will refuse to let you fly. Is this correct?

We are guesstimating that she will be approx. 5/6 months far along by the time we have to leave for Hajj.

Thank you.

Kaaba
Architectural Buildings
Grand Mosque
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Safa to Marwa
Points of Interest & Landmarks
4 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

Hello,

Congratulations !

I am not of your faith, but I do like to help people in this, and other forums too, if I can.

There is some official information and guidance concerning Hajj during pregnancy ( and comments relating to womens’ other health issues too) from the KSA Ministry of Health, in this link.

https:/…WomanAndChild.aspx

Kind regards,

Mon.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

You do notice ladies performing Hajj who are expecting and it shows.

The airline will most likely allow her to board and the Saudi Authorities won't question her.

The real point is - Hajj is quite tough and hard on anyone - never mind an expecting woman in a mid-stage of pregnancy. The heat, the exhaustion, the mass-produced food, the shoving and pushing. And if a medical arises, the facilities are not the best in the world.

I would think twice.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

I echo what DXBINC says.

Hajj might be too demanding in that condition. Access to medical facilities is the main issue.

Remember you'll be in amongst 2 million+ people and it's every man for himself! No one give you or your wife any sort of priority or special consideration unfortunately.

I wouldn't take my wife if she was expecting, even if she thought she could do it.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant

OP, I concur with DXBINC and Spotboy. Hajj is extremely demanding for the most fittest individuals. My main concerns are; the constant pushing especially during tawaf, and the medical facilities that are excellent but can become overstretched with 2 million plus pilgrims. I once saw an ambulance trying to get through the throng of pilgrims in Arafat. My heart sank at the thought of the poor soul it was trying to get to. Not trying to put you off, just giving you a reality check. Please rethink.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 06:43
Reply to: Performing Hajj whilst Pregnant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted