We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling

Which Busselton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashby, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling

Hi can anyone tell me of some safe beaches for snorkelling in the Bussellton /Margaret River area please Many thanks

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling

If it's any assistance, the following info is from the Busselton Visitor Centre. "The Capes region is ideal for scuba diving and snorkelling. The Busselton Jetty, Eagle Bay, Meelup and Castle Rock are calm and ideal for snorkellers. Located near Dunsborough, the HMAS Swan dive wreck is one of Western Australia's most spectacular artificial reefs and is a mecca for scuba divers. The former HMAS Swan, 120 metre long decommissioned naval destroyer was scuttled off Meelup in 1997.

A number of commercial operators offer dive tours to the Swan Dive Wreck and other key diving locations in the Capes Region. " I think that probably answers your question.

Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling

A lot depends on the weather Ashby... Meelup and Castle Rock are nice and protected, they are on Cape Naturaliste, on the Busselton side and would be good most of the summer. Bunkers Bay would also be nice, if the swell wasn't to big. There is also a nice protected area at Yallingup (between Busselton and Margret River) from memory to.

As for areas around Margret River and Prevelly, you are very much at the mercy of the swell, it would have to be a very calm day to go to most places safely. I would stick to the spots on the bay side of Cape Naturaliste unless you are experienced.

Ashby, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling

thanks for your help - really looking forward to our trip downunder!