We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down to two places - thoughts?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
101 reviews
Down to two places - thoughts?

Hi.

I'm travelling solo and without a vehicle so I will be flying in from Perth. Staying from 27/09 for 5 nights.

I've been reviewing my options on accommodation in Albany. Prefer a place I can have the option to have at least breakfast in-house and some utensils if I do take away. I've shortened the list to:

Spencer Suites

My Place Colonial Accommodation

Spencer doesn't have a full kitchen but the manager offered to drive me to the bus stop on departure. Tempting. My Place Colonial has a kitchen but seems to be on a pretty steep incline and a bit further out of town. I will have to get to the visitor centre for some day tours I'm planning, but don't mind walking either.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited: 17 January 2018, 04:09
7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Bumping you up the list so that the folks in Perth see this when they wake up.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Both should be fine as short walk ( 10 minutes?) to the Visitor Centre. From Spencer St you would go downhill to Stirling Tce and My Place down York St. Both on a bit of a hill but no big issue! So choose according to reviews and preference. ( mine would be Spencer Suites because I like the look of the decor more!).

You have mentioned DYI breakfast but if you wanted to pick up some pastries then one of my favourite coffee places is close by on Stirling Tce-

http://www.gourmandiseandco.com.au

For your takeaways then The IGA near the Visitor Centre has terrific home made takeaway to heat up in microwave. Otherwise to eat in then Due South near the Entertainment Centre is good and reasonable pub type prices, great local wine list by glass -nice view across harbour and a walkway to Stirling Tce.

If you felt like a walk there’s nice bushland behind those accommodation options- the Mt Clarence circular walk you can connect

I’ve seen some Wildflowers on this walk.

Also Mt Adelaide-

Great bush right in the middle of town!

nationalanzaccentre.com.au/visit/bushwalking…

You could get a taxi or lift to Anzac centre and walk back. Trails are marked but if you ever felt lost you are close to civilisation and roads.

PM me as time gets closer as there’s chance I’ll be around in Albany doing some walks etc so could meet up if you wanted local input.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 10:26
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Also not sure if plans locked in and I know you are interested in Wildflowers but the Albany Wildflower show is on late September in St Johns Church. Not sure of date for 2018- you could email them if interested-

wildflowersocietywa.org.au/branches/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Thanks Jean. Will take you up on your offer. I was favouring Spencer a bit more too. Now, will the more practical one win out? Not sure yet.

Last question. I’ve been reading the cancellation policies. Are there any major holidays in WA at this time? I will be visiting until mid-October.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

School holidays September 22- October 7. That shouldn’t be a huge issue around Albany.

Queens Birthday public holiday weekend September 24. Could be busy around Margaret River Region. I never find Albany/Denmark region that busy except maybe Easter and Christmas week.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
116 reviews
6. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Having stayed at Spencer Suites in October 2017, I'd happily recommend the property.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: Down to two places - thoughts?

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated!

Edited: 17 January 2018, 23:52
Reply to: Down to two places - thoughts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted