We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

Our cruise ship is going to be in Albany in late February 2018 from 8 AM to 5 PM. There are 2 excursions that sound interesting, but clearly only one is possible given the time we're there. A third option is to stay in town near the port and walk around, have lunch, etc.

I'd like opinions from others who might have been to these places -

1. Discovery Bay, the Whale Museum, exhibits.

2. Valley of the Giants - the tree-top walkway and walking of the Ancient Empire Trail.

3. Stay in town.

The tours are pretty expensive, so that weighs on my decision somewhat too.

Appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

This is a tough one.

How active are you? What are your interests?

If you are active then I can suggest some great walks from the port and town area. You could take a taxi to the Anzac centre plus do some walks there.

The tour to Discovery Bay- superb area but it's the walks I like in the area- the Whaling station is interesting though. Imagine you are calling into the Gap. There's a great little wildlife and botanic park at Discovery Bay.

Valley of Giants. Long way. Good enough drive but probably my last choice.

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

I like walking/hiking quite a bit. I appreciate your input, thanks. Gives me some things to think about. My biggest issues if I wanted to go out of town are transportation modes, especially if I wanted to DIY.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

If you are a walker and want to DYI then you could chose the following listed here:

https:/…

Catch a taxi ( should be around $$15/20 to either Emu Point or Middleton Beach (cafes both of these). Have a swim at Middleton Beach inside the shark netting. Then walk the Ellen Cove walk which will get you close to town ( maybe another 30 minutes)

Or taxi to Anzac centre ( $15 approx and cafe there) and do the Mt Adelaide and or Mt Clarence walks - can walk back to town.

These are all terrific walks close to town - I often choose them when I don't want to go further afield-scenic views- there are trail notes attached in the walk links page.

You are around in February aren't you? Then probably the coastal Ellen Cove walk would be the best.

The other great walks further out will cost too much for taxi.

Otherwise do the Discovery Bay tour.

Edited: 04 September 2017, 11:14
El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

Thank you!

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

There is so much to see in and around Albany without going all the way out to the Tree Top Walk which is stunning but a good 1.25 hours each way.

The issue is that to see the best highlights you will need acces to transportation. My understanding is that there would be a range of local operators available to pick up a tour which might cover more things your like to see.

Even if you are not interested in Albany's ANZAC (WWi) history I'd suggest you should definitely go to top of Mt Clarence to enjoy very spectacular view over King George Sound, Princess Royal Harbour and the town, and The Gap and Natural Bridge are a must! They may be included in the Discovery Bay itinerary? Check out Busy Blue Bus for an organised tour or Great Southern Comfort Tours for a private car tour with local Anne-Marie - she'll cover whatever itinerary you like on the day and will be able to talk you through the options available to cover in the time you have. You'll love Albany - it is just SO naturally beautiful and warm and welcoming!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

I also agree with the others that the Valley of the Giants is a longish drive and probably not worth it. I'd do what BHAB suggests and explore the immediate locale as Albany is amazing and one of my favourite places (I lived there, years ago). Enjoy!

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

I saw the Busy Blue Bus tour info online but worried about pickup and dropoff times and locations since they seem to have fixed times and they only mention hotel pickups. Being on a cruise ship can be difficult sometimes because our timing is so strict.

I will check out Anne Marie's tour company.

I think I will forgo the Valley of the Giants. 3 hours driving is not acceptable when I can see and do so many other things closer to town.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

Best little cafe in town is the Vancouver Street Cafe - a walk from the main street - best coffee, great imaginative food!

Albany, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
543 reviews
9. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

Albany local here. I'd also strongly recommend skipping the Valley of the Giants - just too far a drive for that experience; there are far nicer things to do much closer by, and you'd be better to use your time enjoying scenery rather than sitting in a bus for 3 hours given the limited time you have.

The tour to Discovery Bay area sounds okay - but what does it all include, and how much are they charging you? It might be cheaper to hire a taxi and choose some places of your own choosing. There are indeed many beautiful walks in the immediate Albany area, although a visit to Torndirrup National Park (which could include several walks) is well worthwhile.

10. Re: Discovery Bay or Valley of the Giants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 00:15