We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

Am visiting Las Terannus for one week in Jan 2013, staying at a time share condo on Playa Ballanas. Is this very far from the town center? Reading lots about safety and now discouraged! Should we rent a car or hire a driver...how do you find a good, safe and reliable driver? Is it safe to hail a cab ..is that even possible? We are planning one night in Santo Domingo...shall we drive on the new toll road or take public transportation? Any recommendations for an agency to book tours, especially interested in whale watching. Please relieve my worries! Thanks!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,400 posts
1 review
1. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

Many questions, are you flying into SDQ or AZS (Jet Blue now has service JFK-AZS)? A night in SD is a long way if flying into AZS. If traveling via SDQ it is a good idea to start the vacation with a night in SD and allows you the opportunity to take the bus to LT, a much safer and very much cheaper way to go. As to safety in LT or SD, just don't leave your common sense at home, don't flash money or bling or walk down dark alleys, etc.

As to excursions in the Samana area, there are many. Start your search above at the "things to do" button.

For getting about town, I am not one who recommends that you drive in the D.R., too many bad things can happen. Many folks rent ATV's or make friends with a cabbie. To hail a cab, often you may send a motoconcho to get one for you and then pay the moto for his efforts.

Others may chime in on their favorite excursions. Whale watching is a real good one.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 05:07
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

I have stayed at playa ballenas and it is in a safe part of town (LT by and large is very safe throughout) but it is a ways to town. Quads are a great way to get around but can be expensive (@$50 per day) and motos (motorbike taxis) are not bad as it is only 2-3 mins via them to town. We stopped by and met the new owners of the place on our last visit and they seem very nice and helpful. Have them call you a cab for your first trip into town (to get supplies I am sure) and afterwards is no problem to walk the few hundred yards towards town to the PlayaColibri hotel or Alisei where there should be motos available most hours. The beach there is one of our favorites.. good swimming and very relaxed and uncrowded. There is a good French restaurant within walking distance to your left as you face the beach and they also had a mini-market the last time we were there with beer, wine and other grocery items although for most of your shopping go downtown to lindos supermercado. Feel free to ask anything else and hope this helps... Ben

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

Ben, thank you so much! Love your details! We are flying via Jet Blue to the new airport ASZ, do you recommend taking a taxi from the airport assuming the timeshare does not have shuttle service?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

Thanks Silver! I appreciate your input. We are fliying Jet Blue into the new airport which seems to be close in. Do you agree that a cab into LT would be fine? Good to know you rec the public bus into SD. We are going from LT to SD for an overnight stay to see the city (and avoid having to drive at night).

Any words of wisdom re: cash V credit cards, ATM, using USD? Ive read they are easily acceptable. thanks again!

Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

We were just in LT for 10 days. We flew out of JFK on Jet Blue's new service to AZS. Our hotel was in the center of LT and we asked our hotel to arrange a taxi from AZS to hotel. When we cleared the airport, there was our driver holding up a sign with our name.The fare was $70 US and that was to take the old road which is winding and thru the mountains. The ride, while only 26 kilometers, takes about 40 minutes. We're happy we traveled that way as we got to see some magnificent scenery. We didn't have a reason to go to SDQ, so cannot comment. Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

Thank you Virginia! If you have any other comments, re your favorite outings, restaurants, safety tips, Id appreciate it.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

The resort is small so I doubt they will have a shuttle. I am sure they will arrange a taxi for you if you inquire or take one at the airport. Have never been to the AZS airport (usually fly into Santo Domingo) so not familiar with it or the taxi situation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

As for safety, we didn't carry/flash $, no swell jewelry, just low profile as we have done in most vacation areas we've visited. Our hotel was right in the heart of all the restaurants/shops in town, so we walked everywhere and never felt unsafe. A couple of times, we had a man approach who wanted to "walk with us" after we would give him money to buy milk for his baby. His opening line was that he'd served us at the "beach bar" the day before and yeah, man, don't you recognize me?? We said no thank you and he went away. There are young boys who approach and want to sell you their wares, again, a no thank you, no gracias will send them away. Beware of the driving habits in LT. The motos fly in and out with little regard for what's around them. We were happy not to have a car! We had some fabulous meals while there, again all within walking distance. Chez Sandro, French restaurant has wonderful, reasonably priced food and also a beach restaurant/bar across from the main restaurant. Pizza Coco served delish thin crust pizza. La Dolce Vita, very good food. Paco Cabana on the beach, nice atmosphere as well as good food. La Serviette in the heart of town on back street has good food, owners speak little English. Don't miss the French bakery also on back street......yummy breads and Chocolate croissants, also quiches and sandwiches that we ate for our lunch. Supermarket Lindo has a wonderful selection of wines, foods from Europe as well as US staples and is closed for siesta between noon and 3 pm. The ATM at Banco Popular is in Spanish, if you understand it, you're in luck. We don't and so we changed our US $'s for DOP inside the bank, be sure to take your passport if you plan on exchange at bank.

We loved LT and hope to return someday. Hope you enjoy your time there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Best way to get around Las Terranas: Hire a driver, taxi, c

You will get the best exchange rate at the Caribe exchange in plaza Italia. I always make a photocopy of my passport so I can carry it instead of the real thing just in case. Most places just want the passport number so this is acceptable and if you decide to rent a quad or scooter it will be needed. The fishermans village is about 15-20 min walk and you will find quite a few restaurants and nightclubs, included One Love fish shack which is owned by a very helpful Canadian couple. So jealous as we won't be visiting this year :)

Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas