We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Bobcaygeon, Canada
3 posts
1 review
New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Can anyone who has been to Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo recently advise if Westjet is using the new toll highway for the transfer to the resort or are they still going the old road which takes so long...

I tried to ask this question to Westjet, but no one could give me a straight answer.

Toronto
Level Contributor
656 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

We were there in May and it was no. They did not take the toll road so we took a cab and paid the toll. Much faster and gets you away from the pack.

We are going on Saturday Sept 15th again and we are taking a taxi as usual.

Welland
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Hi Drewboy134

Have a safe fun trip, we are going in November for first time, cant wait.

I do have one question for you though...How much is it to take a taxi......we are a group of 8 going to Portillo.....

Thanks

Bobcaygeon, Canada
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

That makes no sense to me. The cost of fuel there is more than here in Canada. Surely that savings alone warrants the cost of the toll. What was the cost of the toll and the cab? Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
656 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

There has been lots written here about the toll road and the buses.

My wife always gets the cab ride down to $80.00 USD, including the new toll highway. I usually tip another $10-$20.00

We take a cab because of my wife's motion sickness. If the bus rocks sideways she gets ill. We've heard people do get sick from the bus ride if they have motion problems.

This time we are staying at Hotel Alisie. There are so many great places to eat and drink in town that we not going the all inclusive way anymore. Also the smaller hotels are nice and quiet

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

The $toll for one of those big (40+ passengers) buses is $32 USD. Westjet or any other agency does not care if the bus driver takes the toll road as long as someone else pays the toll. So in other words, if the passengers of the bus decide to chip in $1 per person or so, the driver will take the toll road (they actually like to do that, the sooner they get people to the hotel the faster they are done with their work and can go home). Talk to the rep, he will be more than happy to ask the driver to take the new highway if someone else pays.

Keep in mind, getting to the hotel 45 minutes earlier, depending on the time of your arrival (if it's early enough in the day – Westjet gets there at 2, if you move fast enough you could be at El Portillo by 3:30-3:45) might not get you an "earlier start" as your room may not be ready... BTW, sometimes when there are not enough tourists going to El Portillo, the transfer is done via one of those small buses (15 seats or so) and the small bus can take the over the mountain road that takes almost one hour…

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

The 20 min long toll road cost $11 usd for a regular car or any of the taxi vehicles. The bigger the vehicle the larger the toll.

Have a Great Day!

Tour Samana With Terry

Welland
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

So Terry what would it cost for a group of 8...November 3,2012 ??????

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Drewboy134, I am interested in your review/opinion of the Hotel Alisie when you return. It's always interesting to look at other options.

Thanks,

Deb

Toronto
Level Contributor
656 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Hi Deb

I sure will let you know. We stayed at the El Portillo again for two weeks this past May. For my Birthday night we booked Hotel Colibri for one night to get away and do something different. We loved it and did not want to go back to the El Portillo. It was a quiet one bedroom with a little kitchen and a great porch facing the beach. A completely different experience.

We walked to the Alisie and it looked similiar but a little different. My wife saw cats lounging around the Alisie and right then, being cat lovers, we decided the next week we have off we are going to the Alisie. So here we come on Saturday.

Breakfast included, Lunches in town on the beach and grilled cheese and wine for dinner in our room. Can't wait.

Of course this has nothing to do with the toll highway. But thanks for letting me go on a bit.

Drewboy.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
10. Re: New Toll Highway from El Catey Airport to Las Terrenas

Sounds Awesome Drewboy! Thanks for sharing those insights. I loved the Colibri as well. I don't get up there enough anymore. I'd really like to give the Alisei a try too. Anyways.....

Enjoy the Heck out of your Vacation!

Tour Samana With Terry

Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas