We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Which Hervey Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
753 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

hi, might be a silly question??

i havent gotten further north than the sunshine coast (apart from flying up to cairns, so i thought it might be good to head up to airlie for a long weekend.

it seems that airlie is spread along the water across a few villages / suburbs.

a few questions, what is the best area to stay in for someone who wants to laze around by the water, assuming it ends up being warm enough the weekend i head there. id like to be fairly close to restaurants as well, as id like to avoid driving once i get there.

what would be a good pub to head to for a lazy sunday afternoon beer or 2, maybe watch some footy and people?

thanks for your help

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Sorry,

Are you talking about Hervey Bay or Airlie Beach?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
753 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

sorry messed up the post, im talking about hervey bay.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

The beach itself there is very calm (being a bay) but the sand is quite rough, tiny little broken up shells if you know what I mean? Not like the soft sand here.

I normally stay with family in Hervey Bay so I might not be the best judge for accommodation but I'll give it a try. Along the esplanade at Torquay or Scarness I think would be best, there's lots of restaurants and shops along there.

I like the look of Peppers Pier as well at Urangan for something nice. The beach and the pier are really nice to walk along. If you have a car, it's probably about a 5 minute drive from Urangan to Torquay, to give you an idea of distance.

Can't help with pubs, sorry :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Hiya,

The beach in Hervey Bay is actually excellent, and extends approx 12km along the foreshore. Being in the lee of Fraser Island there is never surf or rough conditions, and due to the shoaling nature of the Straits, the water is somewhat warmer than other coastal beaches.

We have a 15 km walking and biking path that extends along the foreshore from the Boat Club end at Urangan almost all the way to Point Vernon. Regardless of where you are you will have access to good swimming beaches, and glorious walks along the foreshore and Pier.

Pubs - the Boat Club at the Marina is an excellent location looking out over the marina watching the boat movements. The veranda at the Bayswater is awesome in the afternoon. Enzoes on the beach is a great spot for breakfast / brunch. The Black Dog Cafe and Coast are the top picks for restaurants.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Rob has described it perfectly. Shelly Beach, near Witt and Eric St's, Torquay, Hervey Bay, is quite a wide sandy beach. You can stay at Grand Mercure Allegra in this area and walk to the Torquay Hotel for a drink opposite the beach.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Plenty of beaches and pubs, and take a trip over to Fraser Island when you're there, or it's whale watching season very soon, another fantastic way to spend a day.

LTB

Brisbane
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

Unless you like Fishing you will need a big book to read.

8. Re: is there much actual beach at hervey bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 11:18