We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Hi, We are planning to visit Perth next April and plan to go down as far as Margaret River then travel up to Ningaloo Reef. We are looking for accommodation near Margaret River for probably two nights, somewhere with a beach view. Where would be best, were thinking possibly Busselton or Yallingup??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Assuming you are looking for accom for 2? Budget of caravan park or 5 star?

Busselton and Yallingup are both right on the coast so your accommodation may have beach views. I can recommend Yallingup Luxury Retreat if you are not on a tight budget but its in a bush setting - still only 5 minutes from beaches.

Places like Abbey Beach resort and Broadwater are typical big resorts located on the beach side of the main coastal road in Busselton - have a look at the tripadvisor ratings for your choices. Also include Dunsborough, its in between the two and also has some good options. Bunker Bay Resort is further out towards Cape Leeuwin in the Naturaliste Region - around $350+ a night . At the other end of the price scale you can stay at a nice little clean one bedroom self catering bungalow at Peppermint Park Eco Village which is a 5 minute walk to Geographe Bay, Dunsborough for around $130 per night in a pleasant leafy setting that includes native possums!

Margaret River township is not right on the coast but has lots of accommodation options. All these towns are relatively close together within a radius of 50 ks which is 30 minutes by car.

In the other direction, Ningaloo is a big region. The towns in this area are Exmouth and Coral Bay. Exmouth is 1260 kilometres from Perth and I suggest you plan to stop overnight on the way - Carnarvon at 900 ks out is usually the recommended stopover after 9 hrs driving.

Edited: 14 August 2011, 12:16
Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll have a look at these options. Yes there are 2 of us, and am willing to pay up to $300, but hopefully closer to $200. In regard to Ningaloo, I thought maybe stay at Geraldton overnight? Is it worth having a look around there? Is it nicer to stay at Exmouth or Coral Bay? Also, where is nice in Perth CBD to stay, hopefully with Swan River views? I know I will have to pay closer to $300 for that area.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Can certainly stay overnight at Geraldton, or even Dongara just a bit south of Geraldton is a picturesque little town on a river, possibly more exciting than Geraldton which I regard more as a main regional commercial centre. Just means a longer drive the next day to Exmouth region.

Distance between Exmouth and Coral bay is 150 ks. Exmouth is not huge, still only population of 2,500 residents.Exmouth has more accommodation options ranging from backpacker/fishermans quarters to the relatively new 4* Ningaloo Resort and some in between.

Coral Bay is very small (population of about only 200/300) and about 3 choices of places to stay including caravan parks.

westernaustralia.com/en/…Coral_Bay.aspx

Personally I think you could do a day trip to Coral Bay from Exmouth. Exmouth is a better proposition in that there is more to do - visit Turquoise Bay and snorkel over the coral reefs with the tame fish, drive down to Yardie Creek and Milyering Visitor Centre, drive up and see the view over the Gulf from the top of the Potshot Ranges.- There's better provision shopping in Exmouth and more choices of things to do if the wind blows in strongly - drive around the hills, pick a sheltered beach on the east side of the peninsula, wander around the northern beaches and look at the shipwreck.

Edited: 14 August 2011, 15:41
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Hi,

I would stay at Yallingup - close to the beach.

Seashell Apartments & Caves Hotel are really nice - walk trail through the gardens to Yallingup Beach.

seashells.com.au/resorts/yallingup/overview/

…street-directory.com.au/

Other really gorgeous spot is Smiths Beach. However they are pricey..

http://www.smithsbeachresort.com.au/

Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Thanks for your ideas, Abbey Beach Resort seems really nice, maybe have two nights there to look around Margaret River and maybe Augusta. Our tentative itinerary so far is:

Perth 3 nights

Busselton 2 nights

? 1 night

Geraldton 1 night

Monkey Mia 3 nights

Ningaloo/Exmouth 3 nights

fly back to Perth from Exmouth

Any ideas where to stay at between Busselton and Geraldton for 1 night? Didn't know whether to stay at Scarborough for maybe 2 nights before heading up to Geraldton. Is it a nice beach area to have a couple of days relaxing or should we have extra time further up at either Moneky Mia or Ningaloo??

We will have a stop at the Pinnacles on the way up to have a look. Anywhere else we should stop at on the way up?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,520 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

If you are planning on hiring a car in Perth and dropping it off at Exmouth, be aware that most hire car companies charge a hefty one way fee. Best to check on this before getting too enmeshed in planning as you may decide you don't wish to pay it.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 20:07
Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Thanks for bringing that to my attention YorkFoodie, I just did a quote online for 2 weeks car rental, and they charged an extra $1100 for one way rental!! Is this normal, do they all charge this much? A couple of other companies online came up as sold out so they obviously don't do it at all. Does anyone know of any cheaper rental companies?? Maybe we'll have to look at changing our itinerary to allow for a couple of days to drive back to perth.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

One way hire in a state as big as WA is expensive. No operator is going to want a vehicle sitting unrented in a regional area with no guarantee of another return booking so they have to cover costs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Have a look at Margarets Beach Resort at Gnarabup...it is about 5km from MR township and the beach is really lovely. Each morning we walked along the beachfront boardwalk and had coffee at the cafe near the beach. Also thoroughly recommend you look at a boutique type tour "Margaret River Discovery" - the host Sean is excellent and so was the tour.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 07:28
Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay in Margaret River area

Thanks, I will have a look at the Margarets Beach Resort and at the tour. Any other tours to be recommended in the area?

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River