We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Does anyone have a recommendation for a luxury boutique hotel that is about half way between Melbourne and Mildura? We are doing a road trip and would appreciate any recommendations for beautiful places to stay on the way

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne
Level Contributor
647 posts
116 reviews
1. Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Going straight up the Calder, Wycheproof is about the half-way point. There's nothing there I'd particularly describe as "boutique" or "beautiful".

Charlton is a little closer to Melbourne, but has a nice place called the Vale of Avoca B&B in an old pub.

On the Mildura side of Wycheproof, there's not a whole lot else until you get to Sea Lake. I can't speak for accommodation there, but Lake Tyrrell to the north of Sea Lake is an excellent spot for night star viewing or photography.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

I live in Mildura and travel between here right up to Bendigo area for work regularly. I can tell you that there is nothing I would remotely describe as luxury in the middle of the trip or anywhere along the way. Honestly there really isn't anywhere that I would recommend - some of the pubs and motels are sufficient if you just need a stopover but that is it.

If we drive to Melbourne we do it in a day. It is easily doable. Takes about 6.5 hours with a stop or two to the CBD.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Thank you, I looked at The Vale of Avoca. It looks really nice. We have never stayed anywhere like that so we are looking forward to trying something different and having an adventure.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Thanks for your reply. We can’t leave Melbourne till mid afternoon so need somewhere to stay. Maybe someone will do something one day that will encourage us to stop

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
5. Re: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura

Stayed recently in warracknabeal country roads motor inn. Old dated exposed brick but comfortable accom and friendly owners. Also easy trip to pub down by river for dinner.

Reply to: Travelling from Melbourne to Mildura
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted