We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Hi.

We will be visiting Melbourne for xmas and staying in the CBD for 5 nights. Then planning to stay in Geelong for a few nights around 28 to 1st. Then head to GOR.

Can someone please help by advising us if we should stay in Geelong itself or..I found this great cottage in Portarlington but dont know much about it!

We are a family of 5. 1 couple and elderly and 2x reene whi one will be 18.

I guess for NYE she would like to go somewhere with music. Not big drinkers though just looking for great atmosphere. We will be driving to do the GOR from 1st to 4th and head back to geelong to return car and going to catch a 10 am flight to go home.

Another question is. If we do the GOR in reverse, starting at Port Campell and properly start there for 2 nights- 1st and 2nd. Should we stay at Appolobay for the 3rd and drive to Geelong or Melbourne for the last night.

Not sure best way to get to Melbourne airport via public transport from Geelong.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Portarlington would be nice, particularly if you have a car for the time you are staying there. It is close enough to Geelong that you could go there for the NYE celebrations, or any other time you choose. It would also allow you to visit some other nearby places such as Point Lonsdale & Queenscliff before your GOR journey. You could even take the ferry across to Portsea

You can take a train from Geelong to Melbourne, from there taxi or skybus to the airport. Or, you could take a shuttle bus directly from Geelong to Tullamarine airport

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,874 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Best to do the GOR east to west. First night Apollo Bay, second night Port Campbell. If you are interested in rainforest and waterfalls, spend 2 nights at AB. If you want to spend more time looking at the iconic cliff formations like the 12A or if you want to visit Tower Hill, spend 2 nights at PC.

Might be a good idea to spend the night of NYE at Geelong itself. You could spend a couple of nights at Portarlington before that and use it as a base to explore the Bellarine Peninsula.

Quite easy also to spend the night before your flight home in Geelong. The Gull shuttlebus will take you to Melbourne airport in about 75 minutes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Here's the bus from Tullamarine airport to Geelong:

https://gull.com.au

Staying in Portarlington would be fine. It's a seaside town, so you'll have a nice time there. However the action on NYE will be in Geelong, which is a shortish drive away. Anything along the coast will just be private gatherings.

If you're planning to stay in the area for a few nights, then you could spend a day in Geelong and at least one more on the Bellarine Peninsula, where there are many attractions to visit:

https://www.visitgeelongbellarine.com.au

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Do you think we should spend time in Portarlington rather then Geelong? Since it is only 30 min drive and I am not a drinker.

We can do:for our 13 days trip to experience the best of Melbourne. Since we love both city/ crowd/ beach.

3 days Melbourne CBD

3 days Brunswick/ Friztroy

Hire car from here

3 days Portarlington

2 days Port Campbell

2 days Appolobay

Leave early morning and drive straight to airport to board plane at 10.30am?

Do you think this is a good plan?

Thank you everyone!

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Oh..I just read the latest post. Thank you.

May be hire the car from Geelong.

Then stay in Portarlington.

That way we have a car to drive to places those few days and for NYE.

And we can return the car early at Geelong and take the gull bus to as airport.

I need to check the link to see what time is the first bus to airport!

And can we catch a train/ bus to go to Geelong from Friztroy/ Brunswick? I am not sure if we hire a car from Friztroy/ Brunswick , they will let us return the car in Geelong on the last morning?

Sorry if my questions seems " complicated but this is important as I need to book our accommodation asap and at where we hire the car from is important too! We need a car around Geelong/ Portarlington and GOR. But dont need one in the first week of our trip.

Thank you everyone!!

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

There are no direct connections to Geelong from Brunswick or Fitzroy, you would have to travel via the CBD/Southern Cross Station

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

News is not good.

Most Airbnb on GOR or seaside towns of Geelong will not accept booking around that time for less then 7 days min!!

Looks like we have to stay in Geelong and drive to GOR each day!?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,874 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

www.booking.com

www.stayz.com.au

The GOR cannot be done using Geelong as a base.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE

Probably a bit late to the party, but I live in Portarlington and it’s a great place to spend NYE. There are free fireworks on the beach at 9.30 and midnight and a carnival operates right there on the foreshore every night of the holiday season. It’s safe for kids, the beaches are lovely and there’s heaps to do. You can have dinner at one of the local wineries (book ahead) and if you look at sites other than Airbnb you will find accommodation available with fewer minimum night requirements. We always have friends from Melbourne come and spend NYE with us here.

Good luck with your planning.

Reply to: Family of 5 planning a few day in Geelong before GOR for NYE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geelong