We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car2Go rental company

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Car2Go rental company

Hi all,

Have anyone used Car2Go rental in Gold Coast? Are they reliable? Quotation I gotten from them is much much lower than other companies i've approached with better insurance coverage (i.e. 200 excess) to top it off. Deal seems too good to be true and I can't seem to find much comments / reviews on this company.

Any comments / user experience will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Car2Go rental company

hi. i've been checking car rental rates as well, and found apex car rental which offers much lower rates and lower excess as well. also not able to find reviews/comments about them.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
2. Re: Car2Go rental company

One has to very weary when choosing a car rental company based on price. Our experience here on TA from customers who have used price as the primary defining issue have isues should a problem develop. Issues that have arisen is principally around extra charges levied by such companies and how bonds / excesses are addressed. To be fair to the companies they generally post these terms and conditions on their websites or they are printed on the contract documents but the punter being fixated on cost doesnt bother to read them. With cheap car hire or more appropriately no frills car hire the hirer pays for all extras. nothing should be assumed as included in the per diem cost. What a car hirer should be more concerned about is "What level of after hours service does the company provide in event of a problem?" If nothing goes wrong every company is great, but what happens if problems occur - Thats where the good companies step up to the mark.

The Gold Coast / Brisbane has plenty of low cost / no frills car rental companies. Many of which have been around a long time and I am talking in excess of 10 years here. If they were sharks and nor providing service then they wouldnt still be in business.

I have for several years now used Alpha car hire as my car rental company of choice. They are an off site company at Brisbane Airport and have provided me with great service over the years. We were last on the GC a year ago and used one of Alphas older vehicles. I understand now that they have upgraded all their fleet to new cars which takes away a cheaper option but should provide a more reliable vehicle.

Apex are a NZ company that started up on the Gold Coast, also operating off site at Brisbane airport, about 8 months ago. This company is one I use and recommend in NZ. Its NZ operation would be amongst the more popular by TA visitors to our country. I am going on holiday to the Gold Coast next week and I will be using Apex primarily to check out the Aussie operation. If the standard is similar to the NZ operation I am not expecting any problems. Apex use new Hyundai vehicles. The short time they have been operating on the GC is probably why there are fewer comments about them. Reports from fellow Kiwis who have used them since they started up have been very favourable.

Alpha operate off site at Brisbane airports and off site at Coolangatta. Apex operate off site at Brisbane Airport and are shortly to open off site at Coolangatta. Both companies opertate a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport to their depot.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
3. Re: Car2Go rental company

There was another thread here by KhairulAfzan asking the same question. They were recommended Car2Go by their accommodation place (Ashmore Palms). There is mention of one positive experience with Car2Go on that thread, but I would be suspicious about it because the person only has two posts, and they were both relating to Car2Go (and they had joined Tripadvisor in that same month, so, I'm not sure whether they are just promoting the company instead. You can see the thread here: tripadvisor.com/…37402817 and it may be best to contact KhairulAfzan to see whether they actually went ahead with Car2Go or not.

aliciatgc, welcome to Tripadvisor and the GC Forums! :) In the thread above, Redmund L said that they have had a good experience with Apex, or if your stay is later in the future, perhaps, look out for beanb41's post.

beanb41, if you don't mind posting on the forum about your experience with Apex, I'd really be interested in hearing how everything went, as we're thinking of Apex as one possible option.

Thanks and have a nice trip! :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
4. Re: Car2Go rental company

I'll be back in NZ on the 9th June and will post my comments shortly after

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
5. Re: Car2Go rental company

Thanks so much! Much appreciated! :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Car2Go rental company

Thanks, all! This is really helpful!

I just booked Apex and must say they seem pretty efficient. I made a mistake and selected child instead of booster seats. I sent an email and they responded pretty much immediately.

I'll be in GC first week of June and will share my experience with Apex after.

Happy traveling, everyone! ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
7. Re: Car2Go rental company

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I think i'll skip car2go and opt for economycarrental.com.au. Seems like its a family owned car rental business in operation since 1992. Price quoted to me is very attractive indeed.

Looking forward to touring Gold Coast. =)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Car2Go rental company

I've used Economy Rental Cars for some years now and have always been very happy with their service. On average, I'd use them 5 or 6 times a year and never had a problem.

Once, I stupidly left my mobile in the car in an after-hours Sunday night return, discovering it only after I'd locked the keys away. Called them and had the mobile on my desk in Sydney onTuesday morning, no cost for the express postage.

http://www.economyrentalcars.com.au/about-us

Just to make the point - this is Economy RENTAL cars, not Economy Car Rentals. Haven't had any dealings with the latter, so can't comment, but it's easy to confuse the two.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
9. Re: Car2Go rental company

Hi Guys,

Just back from GC and I was lucky enuf to have good and wonderful weather throughout. I always read posts from ppl saying that they will post about their experience after their trip but most don't. Well, I don't wanna be one of them.

Used Economy Rental Cars http://www.economyrentalcars.com.au/about-us as recommended by Bokhara and found it to be extremely easy, good and not to mention low cost. They offer a reduced excess of S$250 (can't quite remember) for just AUD 6 per day. Very reasonable I would say.

They are based just opposite the car park of GC airport and they will drop you off at the terminal when you return the car. Pick up and drop off of car was less than 5 mins for each occassion. Highly recommended car rental company based on my experience.

Will be recommending them to my friend who is going to GC next month. =)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Car2Go rental company

Oops. I didn't post my experience here as promised. Sorry, all. There was a new thread titled Apex Car Rentals and I had shared my experience on that thread. But to sum up, I had a good experience with Apex and except for a little hiccup which could have been easily dealt with, I would definitely recommend them.