We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Hi,

We will be driving a rental car from Brisbane Airport to the Gold Coast and back and I'm wondering how to pay the tolls for the bridge. I recall you used to be able to pay $3 cash, but looking on the internet it appears it is all now automated??. I emailed Thrifty and they have just said "Tolls to be paid to the Toll Provider within 48 hrs". Do we have to find a phone and ring a number within 2 days of crossing and pay by credit card? Don't fancy having to do this at the airport on the way back.

Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

All the information you'll need is on the "Go via" site. See the casual toll

https://www.govia.com.au/via/home/Home/

have a great holiday

LTB

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

If when you ring the automated toll free number I would recommend that you stay on the line and wait until you can talk with a real person. I say this so you can give the toll people a start time and cut off time for your rental car. If you restrict the start and finish to a date you run the risk of the car being used on the toll road before or after you have the car.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Thank you both for your help.

We will be arriving at 6pm ish with grizzly littlies. Is the quickest way to the Gold Coast via Moreton Drive, Gateway Motorway and onto Pacific Highway?

If so, is the Murarrie Toll the only one we pass through?

Looking at the Go Via website a Go Viavideo Pass for Murarrie return seems the best, but do you know if there is a Go Via retailer at the BNE International terminal? Or are we best to just ring up the next day and talk to a real person like you say beanb41. (Go the Hurricanes!)

Thanks again :o)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Yes thats the quickest way and there is only one toll on your route.

No, You can't pre purchase your toll so ring the 1300 number within 3 days.

Enjoy!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Concur with Surfoz you cant prepay your toll but you have 3 days to register

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Ditto, one toll as Surfoz mentioned and ring them.

enjoy your holiday

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated!

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

Hi,

Just some info below I have received from Go Via. May be of interest to tourists just driving BNE Airport to Gold Coast and back.

Unfortunately the 13000 46 842 number is not a toll free phone number.

If you just want to pay for your trips and don’t want to open an account, then a go viavideo pass is the best option for you:

valid for up to 30 days

different payment methods available

can only be used on the Gateway and Logan motorways

can be backdated to cover up to three days of travel already completed

42 cent video matching fee applies per toll point

There are two payment methods – with credit card or with cash:

Credit card (available online, over the phone or at a customer service centre)

credit card charged post travel (every seven days) for the trips you make in the nominated period

can be backdated to cover up to three days of travel already completed

you can have multiple vehicles listed on the one pass

no prepayment required

optional access to check transactions and receive Tax invoice statements (free online or $3 by mail)

you don’t need to provide personal details

Cash payment (available at a customer service centre or a participating go via retailer)

Choose from either a toll credit pass or a trip pass

A trip pass offers eight different trip options - single or return - including all fees and charges

A toll credit pass offers eight pre-set amounts from $3 up to $50

You need one pass per vehicle

Passes are non refundable or transferable

For more information visit, www.govia.com.au

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

311205 Do you want to enjoy your holiday or spend it trying to pay your tolls on the Gateway Bridge. I dont know what the 1300 number costs but it is only a few cents, minimal when considered as part of a holiday and it only takes 5 to 10 minutes if you have your credit card handy. I have the cost on my credit card $A4.41. So simple and you dont need to have passes attached to your car which are monitored. When I spoke with GO ViA a couple of years ago they recommended that the credit card option is the easiest.

If one crosses the Gateway or uses the Logan Highway regularly a pass maybe the best prepaid option, becuase one you have the pass you just top it up. I have more important things to do on my holiday than going to 7 11 and topping it up. Drinking bad coffee and lazying around on the beach or in a bar is far more important.

But it is an option

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls for Gateway Bridge - BNE to Gold Coast

One of the reasons I want to get this straight is I'm going to have elderly parents driving their own rental car with us so I am trying to make life easier for them, particularly for the return. I couldn't care less if the phone number is toll free or not. Someone above mentioned you can't prepay which conflicts with what Go Via say, so I checked with them and have simply cut and paste their reply in case it's helpful for others. That's all.