We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise on Milford sound

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Cruise on Milford sound

Hi all TA experts,

Our family, 3 of us would like to take a cruise on Milford Sound. We plan to take the Coach - Cruise - Coach package from Queenstown on May 4.

I would appreciate advice on:

1. Should I book the cruise now on line, or when I am there at Queenstown.? Any idea on the cost difference?

2. Any particular cruise company that you would recommend? What should I look into when choosing one cruise over another?

Please advice and Thanks

tanaugustine

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

I would advise booking this tour when you get to Queenstown. All the cruises in the fiords follow the same route so they are all much the same. There are some differences in the coach tour in that some companies make more stops along the Milford road for photos/walks etc. The coach drivers are the most important component of these tours and by talking to others that have done these tours you will be able to decide which company to choose.

2. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 08:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

We booked in advance on Real Journeys. It was fine, comfortable coach with "rest stops" along the way there and back. It's a LONG day so plan to be getting up really early that day and not getting back till after 8 pm.

Well worth it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

From your personal knowledge and experience could you recommend the company that provide coach drivers who will make a positive difference to the trip.

5. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 08:35
Suffolk
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

As above really. I would just add it's down to preference. I booked my trip (for a group of 5) 3/4 days before the trip and all went through smoothly. It all depends on the tour company. Companies such as Real Journeys (big name) will book up quicker than most.

As for the tours the others are correct. Cruises are the 90% the same, everyone follows the same route but some take several stops (nature cruise). The nature cruise is longer than the scenic but tbh its all the same (not worth it). Also don't let little things like glass roofed bus etc. persuade you. To really see places you need to leave the bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

We are taking http://nakedbus.com/nz/bus/milford-sound

in next week :)

Its for 119 NZD.

Highlights:

starts in Queenstown at 7.20am (6.50pm from 1st of April onwards)

Lake Wakatipu

Te Anau village

Lake Te Anau

Homer Tunnel

Milford Sound

1hr 45 mins cruise on Milford Sound (included!)

Returns to Queenstown approx 7.15pm

Singapore
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

Thanks. Would love to hear of your experience with nakedbus.

Cheers

Queenstown, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

One thing you might like to consider is to fly back to Queenstown after the cruise. Provided the weather is suitable the flight back to Queenstown will probably be the highlight of your trip to New Zealand. Ask your driver to arrange

for you when you arrive in Milford. Check out the reviews on flights to and from Milford Sound on tripadvisor.

Singapore
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise on Milford sound

Thanks for the idea.

Any idea how much would the flight back to queenstown cost?

Get answers to your questions about Queenstown
Recent Conversations